WebRequestEvent not firing

Guest

I am trying to configure health monitoring to but I seem to be missing some
events, specifically the request processing events. I am using the following
configuration.

<healthMonitoring enabled="true">
<rules>
<clear/>
<add
name="All Events"
eventName="All Events"
provider="EventLogProvider"
profile="Critical"/>
</rules>
</healthMonitoring>

I get some application events (app starting, stopping) and some audit events
(file & url authorization success) but I'm expecting to get some request
events aswell based on the WebRequestEvent class.

The docs state that this event is raised for every request.

Do I need some extra config to get these events?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

As for the "WebRequestEvent" event, I have also tested on my side, and did
get the same behavior as what you find. Actually, after some further
research, I think the MSDN document about the "WebRequestEvent" should
means this class is provided as base classes of any request specific event,
and it is left to the developers who will create the concrete sub classes
from it and use in the application. And the following statement:

"The WebRequestEvent is raised at every Web request. "

should means that if you use "WebRequestEvent", you should raise it in each
web request, for example, use HttpModule to raise the certain event. Also,
so far the ASP.NET 2.0 runtime system hasn't implemented any other concrete
event class derived from this "WebRequestEvent" class. The MSDN reference
has provided an example on creating a custom concrete WebRequest event
class:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.management.webrequesteve
nt.aspx

Anyway, I'll help you perform some further research to confirm on this.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

I have discussed this behavior with some other ASPNET engineers. here are
our current conclusion on this:

Based on the search in ASP.NET's source code, we haven't found any place
which raise thise WebRequestEvent instance, and there also hasn't any
concrete implemented class derived from it. Therefore, I think it should be
a document issue of the MSDN reference.

BTW, if you want like, you can create your own WebRequestEvent and raise in
your own code(such as custom httpmodule) as you need.

In addition, for the document issue, I suggest you try submit comments in
the MSDN reference link directly

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.management.webrequesteve
nt.aspx

Or post in our product feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

Your feedback and comments are really appreciated!

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

How are you doing on this issue, have you any further questions or does the
information in my last reply still helps a little? If there is anything
else we can help, please feel free to post here.