WEBrick: Virtual hosts and inherited directory mappings

Lloyd Zusman

I posted the following query to the webrick mailing list, but that list
has not been very active lately, and so I'm also posting it here, in the
hopes of reaching more WEBrick users:

I'm using the virtual host mechanism of WEBrick, and I'm trying to make
use of shared directories. I'm not sure what is the best way to do
this, and I'm wondering if you folks could give me recommendations.

Here's what I'm doing:

I create a main server which is an instance of WEBrick::HTTPServer.
Then, I create a number servers for my virtual hosts. Each of these is
is also an instance of WEBrick::HTTPServer. I then use the
#virtual_host method to connect these to the main server.

I want these virtual hosts to inherit directory mappings from the main
server, or from some sort of central resource.

For example:

mappings for main server (mainserver.com):

/img => /var/www/img
/icons => /var/www/icons

mappings for virtual host 1 (virthost1.com):

/img => /var/www/virthost1/img

mappings for virtual host 2 (virthost2.com):

/icons => /var/www/virthost2/icons

mappings for virtual host 3 (virthost3.com):

[none]

I want virtual host 1 to inherit the /icons mapping from
the main server.

I want virtual host 2 to inherit the /img mapping from
the main server.

I want virtual host 3 to inherit both the /img and /icons
mappings from the main server.

In other words:

mainserver.com/img => /var/www/img
mainsercer.com/icons => /var/www/icons

virthost1.com/img => /var/www/virthost1/img
virthost1.com/icons => /var/www/icons

virthost2.com/img => /var/www/img
virthost2.com/icons => /var/www/virthost2/icons

virthost3.com/img => /var/www/img
virthost3.com/icons => /var/www/icons

I don't want to have to specify the inherited mappings for each virtual
host. That way, if I happen to change the mappings for the main server,
these changes will automatically be seen and used by the virtual hosts.

How would you folks recommend that I do this via webrick?

Thanks in advance.