    on my Ruby 1.8.2 installation I can't run the example script as the require
    iconv somewhere inside the gem source is failing. I've tried gem install
    iconv but no such beast exists. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    DeZo, Apr 6, 2006

  2. DeZo

    Phil Duby Guest

    "DeZo" <> wrote in message
    news:e13ulf$hj2$...

    > Has anyone used this gem? I found it via this blog entry:
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/2005/07/24.html. After gem install
    > webrick-webdav on my Ruby 1.8.2 installation I can't run the example
    > script as the require iconv somewhere inside the gem source is failing.
    > I've tried gem install iconv but no such beast exists. Does anyone have
    > any suggestions?

    Do a search for iconv at
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/

    My guess (since that was my problem in a similar situatuation) is that

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...a9daedbc?q=iconv phil&rnum=1#163d4270a9daedbc

    is what you need. IE. you have (at least) 2 different copies of iconv.dll
    in the load path, and the wrong one is being loaded. In my case, the one
    that came with Ruby was the 'wrong' one. Renaming
    ....\ruby\bin\iconv.dll
    fixed it for me.

    --
    Phil
    remove all of the (at)'s to send email
    Phil Duby, Apr 7, 2006

  3. DeZo

    DeZo Guest

    Thanks for the pointers Phil. But the problem is at the source level rather
    than a .dll version. The failing line is require "iconv" and the complaint
    is no such file exists to require. The only iconv (.rb or .so or .dll)
    anywhere under my c:\ruby directory is at
    C:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\rexml\encodings\ICONV.rb which also requires "iconv". I
    cannot find a "iconv.rb" (.so or .dll).

    DeZo, Apr 7, 2006
  4. DeZo

    DeZo Guest

    Phil,

    Using your suggestion I found that iconv is not installed on Windows. So for
    gems that need it you need to install it separately. One user posted a zip
    that could be used for exactly that. I've done so and it is now working.
    Thanks again.

    BTW should the One Click Installer be enhanced to install iconv? Apparently
    Ruby's library (see REXML) refers to it.

    DeZo, Apr 7, 2006
  5. DeZo

    DeZo Guest

    Now that I've gotten this working I have been testing it. When I connect to
    the WebDAV server via Windows XP (Add Network Place) I can copy, and create
    files and everything seems to work at normal speed. When I connect via Mac
    OS X (Finder::Go to server) it is very slow to connect and I cannot copy or
    create files. Has anyone been able to use to their webrick-webdav server
    from OS X?

    DeZo, Apr 7, 2006
  6. DeZo

    Dave Burt Guest

    DeZo wrote:
    > Phil,
    >
    > Using your suggestion I found that iconv is not installed on Windows. So for
    > gems that need it you need to install it separately. One user posted a zip
    > that could be used for exactly that. I've done so and it is now working.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > BTW should the One Click Installer be enhanced to install iconv? Apparently
    > Ruby's library (see REXML) refers to it.

    Yes, Iconv is part of the standard library, so the One Click Installer should
    include it. But it does now! Which One-Click Installer version are you using?
    The latest, 1.8.4-16 rc1, does include it.

    Anyway, I'm glad my package helped (I'm assuming that's what got you going).

    Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave Burt, Apr 8, 2006
  7. DeZo

    DeZo Guest

    I am still using 1.8.2-15 as thats the last stable snapshot. As of then it
    did not include Iconv. I installed 1.8.4 on a different machine and indeed
    Iconv was included. Thanks.

    DeZo, Apr 10, 2006