webrick-webdav

DeZo

Has anyone used this gem? I found it via this blog entry:
http://redhanded.hobix.com/2005/07/24.html. After gem install webrick-webdav
on my Ruby 1.8.2 installation I can't run the example script as the require
iconv somewhere inside the gem source is failing. I've tried gem install
iconv but no such beast exists. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Phil Duby

DeZo said:
Has anyone used this gem? I found it via this blog entry:
http://redhanded.hobix.com/2005/07/24.html. After gem install
webrick-webdav on my Ruby 1.8.2 installation I can't run the example
script as the require iconv somewhere inside the gem source is failing.
I've tried gem install iconv but no such beast exists. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Do a search for iconv at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/

My guess (since that was my problem in a similar situatuation) is that

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...a9daedbc?q=iconv+phil&rnum=1#163d4270a9daedbc

is what you need. IE. you have (at least) 2 different copies of iconv.dll
in the load path, and the wrong one is being loaded. In my case, the one
that came with Ruby was the 'wrong' one. Renaming
....\ruby\bin\iconv.dll
fixed it for me.

DeZo

Thanks for the pointers Phil. But the problem is at the source level rather
than a .dll version. The failing line is require "iconv" and the complaint
is no such file exists to require. The only iconv (.rb or .so or .dll)
anywhere under my c:\ruby directory is at
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\rexml\encodings\ICONV.rb which also requires "iconv". I
cannot find a "iconv.rb" (.so or .dll).

DeZo

Phil,

Using your suggestion I found that iconv is not installed on Windows. So for
gems that need it you need to install it separately. One user posted a zip
that could be used for exactly that. I've done so and it is now working.
Thanks again.

BTW should the One Click Installer be enhanced to install iconv? Apparently
Ruby's library (see REXML) refers to it.

DeZo

Now that I've gotten this working I have been testing it. When I connect to
the WebDAV server via Windows XP (Add Network Place) I can copy, and create
files and everything seems to work at normal speed. When I connect via Mac
OS X (Finder::Go to server) it is very slow to connect and I cannot copy or
create files. Has anyone been able to use to their webrick-webdav server
from OS X?

Dave Burt

DeZo said:
Phil,

Using your suggestion I found that iconv is not installed on Windows. So for
gems that need it you need to install it separately. One user posted a zip
that could be used for exactly that. I've done so and it is now working.
Thanks again.

BTW should the One Click Installer be enhanced to install iconv? Apparently
Ruby's library (see REXML) refers to it.

Yes, Iconv is part of the standard library, so the One Click Installer should
include it. But it does now! Which One-Click Installer version are you using?
The latest, 1.8.4-16 rc1, does include it.

Anyway, I'm glad my package helped (I'm assuming that's what got you going).

Cheers,
Dave

DeZo

I am still using 1.8.2-15 as thats the last stable snapshot. As of then it
did not include Iconv. I installed 1.8.4 on a different machine and indeed
Iconv was included. Thanks.