WebSerivces not accessible when deployed.

Vijay Balki

I have a development environment setup on my Laptop that runs Win2000. I
also have IIS running and local SQLServer running. I developed a client in
VS.NET 2003 for a XP machine, that will access a webservice, connecting to
the local SQL Server. Everything works perfectly fine in my WIN2000 laptop.

Now I build a setup project and install the client on the XP box. The XP box
has IIS and a SQL Server. I have transferred the webservice files to the XP
IIS and the SQL Server database also. When I run the client on the XP box
and try to access the webservice, it fails with the following message.

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method
not allowed.

what's wrong???

VJ

otuo

you have a windows security issue. check that yo give
uername passeord to aspnet on the host machine

Vijay Balki

Hi.. I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Could you please
explain?
There is a ASPNET user account that has same properties on both machines.

Vijay Balki

I found this one out...

I had installed ASP.NET and then IIS. The order matters very much here. IIS
installation does not register the ASP.NET version found on the machine. You
have to manually register ASP.NET. This is even true if you install Visual
Studio.NET and then IIS. Or the option is to install IIS first and then
ASP.NET. In either case to be safe, I would manually register the ASP.NET
version I want to work with IIS by following the steps below.

From the command line (command prompt), navigate to the .NET version
directory, you want to register with the IIS. For example:
C:\Winnt\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.0.XXXX

Run the following command, to register ASP.NET
aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Reset IIS, Run the following command:
iisreset.exe

For the Microsoft folks,

Maybe in the future version of IIS a automatic registration of ASP.NET found
on the machine can be included or at least give some sort of warning at end
of installation asking to do a manual register. Also, the error message was
confusing in saying "Method not allowed" for the below condition. Maybe a
better message will also help identify the problem. The message made me
chase security issues..

VJ