webserver design for mobile GPRS clients. minimize bytes transferr

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Kai Fransson, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Kai Fransson

    Kai Fransson Guest

    I am designing a server solution using .NET and webservice connection points.
    A need has come up to support mobile clients (microprocessor units with
    software written in C) that wants to communicate with "my" server using GPRS.
    Communication over GPRS costs money per Kb trasferred, so my question is how
    to best support this. The goal would be to keep the amount of bytes
    transferred to a minimum, so as to avoid unnecessary GPRS costs. Clients will
    communicate with the server regularly sending small bursts of data.

    A regular webservice facade that accepts input in XML form. But XML tags
    really is "unnecessary" bytes being transferred I think. Also, this uses the
    HTTP protocol, and how much overhead in the form of extra bytes is that?

    I am thinking of designing a separate connection point (or front end) for
    these types of clients. A front end that support direct TCP communication and
    with a simple custom protocol to transfer data.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or input regarding this. Does my
    reasoning sound OK, or is it totally insane? :)

    Best Regards
    Kaison

    Kai Fransson, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Kai Fransson

    Dhanraj K.S Guest

    I think its not possible to use webservices without underlying XML, because
    Webservices uses SOAP Protocal which uses XML as the medium of transport. So
    i think you need to check some alternative using basic aspx pages with some
    text responses.

    Thanks
    Dhanraj

    Dhanraj K.S, Dec 29, 2006