WebService basics - recieving a request and sending a response

Sinex

Hi,
I need info on the basics of webservices. I want to write a .net
webservice that will be consumed by a client developed in Java.
The client will request for some catalouge info. My webservice needs to pick
this info from a DB and send it back to the client.

The client has provided me a wsdl. This has types and operations defined. It
also defines how to return arrays of objects (specifying its own tag and not
"ArrayOf"....).

The DB is currently under development...so I want to hard code the data and
send it back. Is there a way wherein I can form the entire response message
in my code (this has to be the SOAP message rite?) and then send it back as
a response? How do I know what is the format of the SOAP response and
request?

....Sinex