Webservice becomes unresponsive

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jess Lundager Andersen, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    This post is a repost of my question posted yesterday in
    dotnet.framework.webservices since noone has replied.. I hope that there are
    someone here that can help.

    I have a problem accessing a web service.

    The problem consists in that after a couple of hours (approx. 3 hours) the
    web service is non-responsive.
    I have then tried accessing it through Internet Explorer and when I invoke a
    method exposed by the web service I recieve
    a "FileNotFound"-exception referring to a specific DLL in c:\windows\temp
    (the filename of the DLL is always different every time I recieve the
    exception).

    If I restart the IIS (through a command prompt I issue the command
    "iisreset") then the web service is functioning again.

    I tried searching for this error on Google and every item I found on this
    issue refers to the issue as a security problem.
    (User does not have enoungh permissions for c:\windows\temp).
    But I checked this and permissions are fine (I have tried with modify and
    full permissions for the user running the web service).
    Moreover, I tried adding the user running the web service to the
    Administrators-group and the problem still occurs.

    My setup is as follows:
    - Windows 2003 Server Service pack 1
    - IIS 6.0
    - Created new application pool called WS_Pool (checked "use existing as
    template" during creation
    - Identity of WS_Pool is user "WebServiceUser" which is member of "IIS_WPG"
    - My WebService is installed below "Default Web Site". Settings for Web
    Site is:
    x Connection timeout = 0
    x HTTP Keep-Alives unchecked
    x Authentication and Access Control: Enable anonymous access
    (WebServiceUser is specified as identity when anonymous connections are made)
    x Configuration options: "Enable session state" unchecked, "Enable
    buffering" unchecked
    - ASP.NET:
    x Version: 2.X
    x State Management Configuration: "Session State Mode" set to "Off"
    - Permissions on directories:
    x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†WebServiceUser: “modify†permissions
    x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†Network Service: “modify†permissions
    x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†IIS_WPG: “modify†permissions
    - Web service is being accessed every 5 seconds from a client application
    on another computer

    Does anyone know why I keep getting the exception?

    Thank you in advance.

    Jess
    Jess Lundager Andersen, Jun 22, 2007

  2. "Jess Lundager Andersen" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This post is a repost of my question posted yesterday in
    > dotnet.framework.webservices since noone has replied.. I hope that there
    > are
    > someone here that can help.
    >
    > I have a problem accessing a web service.
    >
    > The problem consists in that after a couple of hours (approx. 3 hours) the
    > web service is non-responsive.
    > I have then tried accessing it through Internet Explorer and when I invoke
    > method exposed by the web service I recieve
    > a "FileNotFound"-exception referring to a specific DLL in c:\windows\temp
    > (the filename of the DLL is always different every time I recieve the
    > exception).
    >
    > If I restart the IIS (through a command prompt I issue the command
    > "iisreset") then the web service is functioning again.
    >
    > I tried searching for this error on Google and every item I found on this
    > issue refers to the issue as a security problem.
    > (User does not have enoungh permissions for c:\windows\temp).
    > But I checked this and permissions are fine (I have tried with modify and
    > full permissions for the user running the web service).
    > Moreover, I tried adding the user running the web service to the
    > Administrators-group and the problem still occurs.
    >

    > My setup is as follows:
    > - Windows 2003 Server Service pack 1
    > - IIS 6.0
    > - Created new application pool called WS_Pool (checked "use existing as
    > template" during creation
    > - Identity of WS_Pool is user "WebServiceUser" which is member of
    > "IIS_WPG"
    > - My WebService is installed below "Default Web Site". Settings for Web
    > Site is:
    > x Connection timeout = 0
    > x HTTP Keep-Alives unchecked
    > x Authentication and Access Control: Enable anonymous access
    > (WebServiceUser is specified as identity when anonymous connections are
    > made)
    > x Configuration options: "Enable session state" unchecked, "Enable
    > buffering" unchecked
    > - ASP.NET:
    > x Version: 2.X
    > x State Management Configuration: "Session State Mode" set to "Off"
    > - Permissions on directories:
    > x Directory "c:\Windows\temp" WebServiceUser: "modify" permissions
    > x Directory "c:\Windows\temp" Network Service: "modify" permissions
    > x Directory "c:\Windows\temp" IIS_WPG: "modify" permissions
    > - Web service is being accessed every 5 seconds from a client application
    > on another computer
    >

    > Does anyone know why I keep getting the exception?

    Just a direction: is anyone modifying the web service?
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Jun 22, 2007

  3. No, no one is modifying the webservice.

    A client application access the web service approx. every 5 seconds.
    But even though no one connects to the web service the error still occurs. I
    have experienced the following scenario:
    - Started the IIS
    - Started the client application accessing the web service after a couple
    of hours
    - The client reported failure
    - Opened Internet Explorer and accessed the web service -->
    FileNotFoundException
    - Restarted the IIS --> then no problems (the client application was
    running during the restart, and after the IIS was restarted it did not have
    any problem recieving an answer).

    Best Regards,
    Jess Lundager Andersen

    Jess Lundager Andersen, Jun 22, 2007
  4. "Jess Lundager Andersen" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > No, no one is modifying the webservice.
    >
    > A client application access the web service approx. every 5 seconds.
    > But even though no one connects to the web service the error still occurs.
    > have experienced the following scenario:
    > - Started the IIS
    > - Started the client application accessing the web service after a couple
    > of hours
    > - The client reported failure
    > - Opened Internet Explorer and accessed the web service -->
    > FileNotFoundException
    > - Restarted the IIS --> then no problems (the client application was
    > running during the restart, and after the IIS was restarted it did not
    > have
    > any problem recieving an answer).

    Perhaps the AppDomain is restarting for some other reason. I suggest you add
    a call in your Application_Startup in global.asax to log an event to the
    event log when the application starts. Then, look in the event log after the
    failure to see if the application has recently started.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Jun 22, 2007