Webservice becomes unresponsive

Jess Lundager Andersen

Hi,

This post is a repost of my question posted yesterday in
dotnet.framework.webservices since noone has replied.. I hope that there are
someone here that can help.

I have a problem accessing a web service.

The problem consists in that after a couple of hours (approx. 3 hours) the
web service is non-responsive.
I have then tried accessing it through Internet Explorer and when I invoke a
method exposed by the web service I recieve
a "FileNotFound"-exception referring to a specific DLL in c:\windows\temp
(the filename of the DLL is always different every time I recieve the
exception).

If I restart the IIS (through a command prompt I issue the command
"iisreset") then the web service is functioning again.

I tried searching for this error on Google and every item I found on this
issue refers to the issue as a security problem.
(User does not have enoungh permissions for c:\windows\temp).
But I checked this and permissions are fine (I have tried with modify and
full permissions for the user running the web service).
Moreover, I tried adding the user running the web service to the
Administrators-group and the problem still occurs.

My setup is as follows:
- Windows 2003 Server Service pack 1
- IIS 6.0
- Created new application pool called WS_Pool (checked "use existing as
template" during creation
- Identity of WS_Pool is user "WebServiceUser" which is member of "IIS_WPG"
- My WebService is installed below "Default Web Site". Settings for Web
Site is:
x Connection timeout = 0
x HTTP Keep-Alives unchecked
x Authentication and Access Control: Enable anonymous access
(WebServiceUser is specified as identity when anonymous connections are made)
x Configuration options: "Enable session state" unchecked, "Enable
buffering" unchecked
- ASP.NET:
x Version: 2.X
x State Management Configuration: "Session State Mode" set to "Off"
- Permissions on directories:
x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†WebServiceUser: “modify†permissions
x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†Network Service: “modify†permissions
x Directory “c:\Windows\temp†IIS_WPG: “modify†permissions
- Web service is being accessed every 5 seconds from a client application
on another computer

Does anyone know why I keep getting the exception?

Thank you in advance.

Jess

John Saunders [MVP]

Jess Lundager Andersen said:
[...]

Just a direction: is anyone modifying the web service?

Jess Lundager Andersen

No, no one is modifying the webservice.

A client application access the web service approx. every 5 seconds.
But even though no one connects to the web service the error still occurs. I
have experienced the following scenario:
- Started the IIS
- Started the client application accessing the web service after a couple
of hours
- The client reported failure
- Opened Internet Explorer and accessed the web service -->
FileNotFoundException
- Restarted the IIS --> then no problems (the client application was
running during the restart, and after the IIS was restarted it did not have
any problem recieving an answer).

Best Regards,
Jess Lundager Andersen

John Saunders [MVP]

Jess Lundager Andersen said:
No, no one is modifying the webservice.

A client application access the web service approx. every 5 seconds.
But even though no one connects to the web service the error still occurs.
have experienced the following scenario:
- Started the IIS
- Started the client application accessing the web service after a couple
of hours
- The client reported failure
- Opened Internet Explorer and accessed the web service -->
FileNotFoundException
- Restarted the IIS --> then no problems (the client application was
running during the restart, and after the IIS was restarted it did not
have
any problem recieving an answer).

Perhaps the AppDomain is restarting for some other reason. I suggest you add
a call in your Application_Startup in global.asax to log an event to the
event log when the application starts. Then, look in the event log after the
failure to see if the application has recently started.