webservice consumer error 405: Method Not Allowed

Adam J. Schaff

I have created a very simple web service and consumer test application. It
works like a charm on my development pc, but when I try to deploy it to an
intranet setting with an xp client and a windows 2003 server with IIS
running, the consumer application gets a 405 error when it tries to access a
web method.

I'm not sure whether this is security, deployment, or some miscellaneous
configuration that is the problem. For deployment, I created a virtual
folder in IIS and took all the defaults. I then copied the asmx file to the
virtual folder and added a bin folder with my web service project's compiled
dll. Is there more that I need to do? Something I read implied that that was
all there is to it, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, I opened IE on the client (xp) machine and navigated to the asmx on
the server, but that gives me a "page cannot be found" message.

Any suggestions would be welcome, even if they're just general links to info
on web service deployment.

-AJ

Adam J. Schaff

Well, I figured it out. While I had verified before posting that the .NET
framework was present on the server, I discovered that ASP.NET was not
installed/registered so it didn't show up in IIS under Web Service
Extensions. Once I installed it and set it to "Allow" in IIS, my web service
worked fine.

To install ASP.NET I ran the following from the .net command console:
aspnet_regiis -c
and then
aspnet_regiis -i