Webservice converts Datetime from one timezone to the other

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by sameer, Jun 13, 2007.

1. sameer

sameer Guest

Environment : framework 1.1, winforms, webservices, sql server 2000

Architecture of the application : database is hosted behind the webserver.
    Client winforms application is installed on the client machine and webservice
    are used to transfer the data from the client exe to the database over the
    internet. Database\ webserver server is running on GMT time where as the
    client machines can be running on any time zone. Ado.Net Datasets are used to
    transfer the data between the client machine to the database over the
    webservice.

Here is my problem :
    Lets say client EXE is running on a machine that has Eastern time zone, user
    modifies a date which is now '6/23/2007 4:20:30', this modifications along
    with the others mdifications user has done are put in a dataset and send
    across the webservice to the database( where the timezone is different and is
    GMT), so here is the problem, seems when the webservice gets this dataset it
    automatically converts the datetime from Easter to GMT and saves it to the db
    i.e the new datatime is '6/22/2007 11:20:30' ( 5 hrs behind of the easter). I
    want the same date that the user selects to be saved in the database without
    any conversions. Any suggestions on how i can do this? the client exes can be
    running on all different timezone worldwide

Please suggest.

thanks

sameer, Jun 13, 2007
    1. Advertising

2. sameer

Manish Bafna Guest

Hi,
    Timezone aware Datetime Datatype are not supported in SQL Server
    2000/2005.This feature is proposed to be included in sql server 2008.Till
    then you will need to manage it on front end.That is in .net winforms.Right
    now there is nothing you can do at sql server level.Search for "globalization
    cultureinfo c#" in google and you will tutorials as how to implement in .net
    winforms.
    --
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks and Regards.
    Manish Bafna.
    MCP and MCTS.

"sameer" wrote:

> Environment : framework 1.1, winforms, webservices, sql server 2000
    >
    > Architecture of the application : database is hosted behind the webserver.
    > Client winforms application is installed on the client machine and webservice
    > are used to transfer the data from the client exe to the database over the
    > internet. Database\ webserver server is running on GMT time where as the
    > client machines can be running on any time zone. Ado.Net Datasets are used to
    > transfer the data between the client machine to the database over the
    > webservice.
    >
    > Here is my problem :
    > Lets say client EXE is running on a machine that has Eastern time zone, user
    > modifies a date which is now '6/23/2007 4:20:30', this modifications along
    > with the others mdifications user has done are put in a dataset and send
    > across the webservice to the database( where the timezone is different and is
    > GMT), so here is the problem, seems when the webservice gets this dataset it
    > automatically converts the datetime from Easter to GMT and saves it to the db
    > i.e the new datatime is '6/22/2007 11:20:30' ( 5 hrs behind of the easter). I
    > want the same date that the user selects to be saved in the database without
    > any conversions. Any suggestions on how i can do this? the client exes can be
    > running on all different timezone worldwide
    >
    > Please suggest.
    >
    > thanks

Manish Bafna, Jun 14, 2007
    1. Advertising

3. sameer

sameer Guest

thanks for your answer Manish, I know there is nothing in sqlserver that can
    do that, i was looking for more specific info about stopping the dataset
    object from auto-converting it from one timezone to the other, ones again as
    easy as this ... even if the dataset is being converted from Easter time zone
    to GMT time zone, i want the datetime '6/23/2007 4:20:30' to be this and not
    be converted over to GMT datetime.
    Let me know if you have any specific info on this.

thanks

"Manish Bafna" wrote:

> Hi,
    > Timezone aware Datetime Datatype are not supported in SQL Server
    > 2000/2005.This feature is proposed to be included in sql server 2008.Till
    > then you will need to manage it on front end.That is in .net winforms.Right
    > now there is nothing you can do at sql server level.Search for "globalization
    > cultureinfo c#" in google and you will tutorials as how to implement in .net
    > winforms.
    > --
    > Hope this helps.
    > Thanks and Regards.
    > Manish Bafna.
    > MCP and MCTS.
    >
    >
    >
    > "sameer" wrote:
    >
    > > Environment : framework 1.1, winforms, webservices, sql server 2000
    > >
    > > Architecture of the application : database is hosted behind the webserver.
    > > Client winforms application is installed on the client machine and webservice
    > > are used to transfer the data from the client exe to the database over the
    > > internet. Database\ webserver server is running on GMT time where as the
    > > client machines can be running on any time zone. Ado.Net Datasets are used to
    > > transfer the data between the client machine to the database over the
    > > webservice.
    > >
    > > Here is my problem :
    > > Lets say client EXE is running on a machine that has Eastern time zone, user
    > > modifies a date which is now '6/23/2007 4:20:30', this modifications along
    > > with the others mdifications user has done are put in a dataset and send
    > > across the webservice to the database( where the timezone is different and is
    > > GMT), so here is the problem, seems when the webservice gets this dataset it
    > > automatically converts the datetime from Easter to GMT and saves it to the db
    > > i.e the new datatime is '6/22/2007 11:20:30' ( 5 hrs behind of the easter). I
    > > want the same date that the user selects to be saved in the database without
    > > any conversions. Any suggestions on how i can do this? the client exes can be
    > > running on all different timezone worldwide
    > >
    > > Please suggest.
    > >
    > > thanks

sameer, Jun 14, 2007
  4. sameer

Doug Guest

Sameer,

I am having the exact same problem. I will respond back when I find a
    solution to it!

Thanks,

Doug

"sameer" wrote:

>
    > webservice.
    >
    > Here is my problem :
    >
    > Please suggest.
    >
    > thanks

Doug, Jun 18, 2007
  5. sameer

sameer Guest

Doug, thanks shall be waiting.

"Doug" wrote:

> Sameer,
    >
    > I am having the exact same problem. I will respond back when I find a
    > solution to it!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "sameer" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Client winforms application is installed on the client machine and webservice
    > > client machines can be running on any time zone. Ado.Net Datasets are used to
    > > webservice.
    > >
    > > Here is my problem :
    > > Lets say client EXE is running on a machine that has Eastern time zone, user
    > > across the webservice to the database( where the timezone is different and is
    > > GMT), so here is the problem, seems when the webservice gets this dataset it
    > > automatically converts the datetime from Easter to GMT and saves it to the db
    > > i.e the new datatime is '6/22/2007 11:20:30' ( 5 hrs behind of the easter). I
    > > want the same date that the user selects to be saved in the database without
    > > any conversions. Any suggestions on how i can do this? the client exes can be
    > >
    > > Please suggest.
    > >
    > > thanks

sameer, Jun 19, 2007
  6. sameer

chetan Guest

Re: Webservice converts Datetime from one timezone to...

i have the same problem but it can be solved if u change ur database datatype as datetime to string.............i hope it can be solved

chetan, Jul 4, 2007
  7. sameer

chetan Guest

Re: Webservice converts Datetime from one timezone to...

i have the same problem but it can be solved if u change ur database datatype as datetime to string.............i hope it can be solved

chetan, Jul 4, 2007
  8. sameer

sameer Guest

Re: Webservice converts Datetime from one timezone to ...

ya , ithink that is a good idea but that woudl require me to do a log of code
    changes.
    any other ideas using which i can just still the webservice not to do any
    datetme conversions?

"chetan" wrote:

> i have the same problem but it can be solved if u change ur database datatype as datetime to string.............i hope it can be solved
    >

sameer, Jul 5, 2007
  9. sameer

Andrew Guest

read this article ...see if this help you
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842545/en-us

"sameer" wrote:

>
    > webservice.
    >
    > Here is my problem :
    >
    > Please suggest.
    >
    > thanks

Andrew, Jul 5, 2007
  10. sameer

sameer Guest

thanks for the link Andrew ,

your answer does definetly help and that is how i am going to handle this
    issue with the datetime conversion. so basically the idea is to have client
    side code which add an extended property to the dataset in which it stores
    the information that is then used to calcualte the client side datetime on
    the server.

To minimize the client side coding to add this extended property to the
    dataset before it is being send across the webservice( i am having 100s of
    calls to webservice all over the application and adding this code to each
    call might take a long time) i am thinking if it is possible to write this
    code at a central place where it can be read by all datasets gong out of the
    webservice.

Below are the details :

overwrite the client side webservice;s proxy's GetWebRequest method which
    would give me access to the request object and then somehow check to see if
    it has a dataset object within it and if it does then add this extended
    property to it and then send it out. And a similiar thing on the client side
    for incomming datasets in which case i woudl want to overwrite the
    webservice;s proxy's GetWebResponse method and convert the datetime using the
    dataset;s extended property which was added to it by the server side code.

As far as code for the server side, i think i can easily write it for all
    the methods so no concern over there.

Any body any clue on this one, please suggest!

thanks

"Andrew" wrote:

> read this article ...see if this help you
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842545/en-us
    >
    > "sameer" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > webservice.
    > >
    > > Here is my problem :
    > >
    > > Please suggest.
    > >
    > > thanks

sameer, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertising