WebService - Could not create type - ASP 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by D Godwin, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. D Godwin

    D Godwin Guest

    I have a webservice that runs fine on my localhost (XP, IIS5.1, .NET2).
    However, when it is deployed to the production server (WindowsServer2003,
    IIS6, .NET2) via VS2005 "Copy Web Site" command, I receive the following
    error when attempting to access it:

    Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'DataService'.
    Line 1: <%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/Service.cs"
    Class="DataService" %>

    The service folder is set up as a virtual directory in IIS, and all files
    match the ones on my localhost. The service is impersonating a user, but
    doesn't work even if that user is a local administrator.

    Does anyone have any idea why this isn't working? Am I missing some
    configuration or security setting?

    Thanks
    David
    D Godwin, Dec 6, 2005

  2. D Godwin

    D Godwin Guest

    Ah, sorry. With the holidays I forgot to post my resolution...

    I was missing two things: first the ASP user did not have full permissions
    to the correct temp folder (../Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/version
    number), and second I had not assigned an application pool to the virtual
    directory.

    Hope this helps.
    David

    D Godwin, Jan 4, 2006