webservice error - ...was not recognized as a known document type...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by TS, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. TS

    TS Guest

    hi im trying to contact sharepoint server 07 but get following error.

    any ideas?

    TS, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Hi TS,

    From your description, you're getting some error when try using the excel
    service of SPS 2007, correct?

    I'm not quite familar with SPS 2007, however, it seems that the
    excelservice is exposed as an ASP.NET webservice. Also, as for the error
    you mentioned, is it occuring at the time you try adding the
    webreference(create client proxy) or try calling webmethods of the
    webservice?

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any other finding or if there
    is anything I missed.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 25, 2006

  3. TS

    TS Guest

    thanks for responding...it happens when i try to create the proxy. i have
    tried from the command line of 1.1 and 2.0 framework as well as thru VS 03
    and 05 and i get the same errors.

    The error i described in the post is the error i get when i access just the
    xxx.asmx url, but when i access xxx.asmx?wsdl, i get:
    The document at the url http://dharvey2/_vti_bin/excelservice.asmx?wsdl was
    not recognized as a known document type.

    The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:

    - Report from 'WSDL Document' is 'There is an error in XML document (0,
    0).'.

    - The root element is missing.

    - Report from 'DISCO Document' is 'The root element is missing.'.

    - Report from 'XML Schema' is 'The root element is missing.'.

    i know these two errors are almost identical but thought i would include
    anyways.

    When trying to create web ref in VS accessing just the xxx.asmx url the web
    methods come up on the screen, but i get the error described in the first
    post in the pane on the right. I can also access the xxx.asmx url thru the
    browser and the page comes up and looks normal and i can drill down into the
    methods and see the soap stuff, but when i click the Service Description
    link, the page is blank.

    thanks

    TS, Oct 25, 2006
  4. TS

    TS Guest

    I noticed that the central admin, the MySite site, the shared service
    provider admin site, and the default site where i have my document library
    where the excel file i'm trying to open is - all of their _vti_bin directory
    points to the exact same place

    i can successfully create proxy class for the central admin and the MySite
    site, so i know that the web service, excelservice.asmx, is not faulty but
    theres some other reason why i can't access the default site.

    while trying to fix my issue, i tried to delete the web sites of the SSP to
    delete it and start over but i couldn't do it all the way, and now the
    default web site is housed in this SSP, and another SSP i created houses the
    mySite and SSP admin site.

    The point i'm at is since i have a web proxy that works, i try to step into
    my code again where i do a :
    string sessionId = es.OpenWorkbook(targetWorkbookPath, string.Empty,
    string.Empty, out outStatus);

    i get an "You do not have permissions to open this file on Excel Services."
    error message because i am using the proxy class for the central admin and
    the mysites. I think the deal is that my proxy class points to a different
    website than the excel file i'm trying to open (its on the default web site)

    thanks

    TS, Oct 25, 2006
  5. TS

    TS Guest

    also, i have all sites in the trusted site locations and i am an admin on
    the box and in sharepoint i am in the owners group with full control and i
    access the web service as myself (thru impersonation and defaultCredentials)

    TS, Oct 25, 2006
  6. TS

    TS Guest

    i now have only one SSP and all the websites are below it - no change in
    errors.

    TS, Oct 25, 2006
  7. TS

    TS Guest

    OK, i have since created a new website and set it up fully. when i try to
    create a proxy for it i get the same error i did on the previous websites.

    But i have found success in accessing the excel file in the MySite site
    using the MySite proxy i created. I am happy for this, but still don't know
    why i can't do this in a site that isn't a mySite (like the one i just
    created above).

    thanks steven.

    TS, Oct 25, 2006
  8. Hello TS,

    So after you clear and reinstall the services, they still report the same
    error when you try adding webreference or creating service proxy? Then, is
    there any particular error or warning when you try visiting the asmx page
    in webbrowser(IE)? Generally, the webservice proxy generator will first
    request the WSDL document of webservice before creating service proxy, if
    the WSDL documetn has problem to display , it will certainly cause the
    proxy generation fail....

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 27, 2006
  9. TS

    TS Guest

    yes still error when creating proxy. when i hit the .asmx page in browser it
    comes up perfectly, but when i click link to go to the service description
    (wsdl), the page is blank.

    sharepoint comes with excelservicewsdl.aspx instead of a .wsdl file to do
    some dynamic generation stuff. like i said earlier, since the site that i
    have successfully registered the web service uses these exact same .asmx and
    ..aspx files (same _vti_bin dir) i know there is not a problem with these
    files.

    thx

    TS, Oct 27, 2006
  10. Hello TS,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Well, I think the blank service description page should be the cause of the
    problem. Have you tried any other SPS2007 server to see whether it also
    return such as blank page for excel service's service description?

    As for the client proxy generationt utility(wsdl.exe or vs ide's add
    webreference), it will require the WSDL document(service description) of
    the webservice, if not availbe, it will fail to generate webservice client
    proxy.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 30, 2006
  11. TS

    TS Guest

    i haven't seen any others no.

    TS, Oct 30, 2006
  12. TS

    Guest

    TS wrote:
    > i haven't seen any others no.
    >
    > "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello TS,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Well, I think the blank service description page should be the cause of
    > > the
    > > problem. Have you tried any other SPS2007 server to see whether it also
    > > return such as blank page for excel service's service description?
    > >
    > > As for the client proxy generationt utility(wsdl.exe or vs ide's add
    > > webreference), it will require the WSDL document(service description) of
    > > the webservice, if not availbe, it will fail to generate webservice client
    > > proxy.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > >
    > > Steven Cheng
    > >
    > > Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    > > rights.

    , Nov 16, 2006
  13. TS

    Guest

    TS wrote:
    > i haven't seen any others no.
    >
    > "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello TS,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Well, I think the blank service description page should be the cause of
    > > the
    > > problem. Have you tried any other SPS2007 server to see whether it also
    > > return such as blank page for excel service's service description?
    > >
    > > As for the client proxy generationt utility(wsdl.exe or vs ide's add
    > > webreference), it will require the WSDL document(service description) of
    > > the webservice, if not availbe, it will fail to generate webservice client
    > > proxy.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > >
    > > Steven Cheng
    > >
    > > Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    > > rights.

    When addressing the WSDL file of the Excel web service you need to
    point it at the shared services site. However the spreadsheet you might
    want to work with is located in another site, the shared services is
    still responsible for the webservices.

    , Nov 16, 2006
  14. TS

    TS Guest