webservice error - ...was not recognized as a known document type...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

From your description, you're getting some error when try using the excel
service of SPS 2007, correct?

I'm not quite familar with SPS 2007, however, it seems that the
excelservice is exposed as an ASP.NET webservice. Also, as for the error
you mentioned, is it occuring at the time you try adding the
webreference(create client proxy) or try calling webmethods of the
webservice?

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other finding or if there
is anything I missed.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

TS

thanks for responding...it happens when i try to create the proxy. i have
tried from the command line of 1.1 and 2.0 framework as well as thru VS 03
and 05 and i get the same errors.

The error i described in the post is the error i get when i access just the
xxx.asmx url, but when i access xxx.asmx?wsdl, i get:
The document at the url http://dharvey2/_vti_bin/excelservice.asmx?wsdl was
not recognized as a known document type.

The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:

- Report from 'WSDL Document' is 'There is an error in XML document (0,
0).'.

- The root element is missing.

- Report from 'DISCO Document' is 'The root element is missing.'.

- Report from 'XML Schema' is 'The root element is missing.'.

i know these two errors are almost identical but thought i would include
anyways.

When trying to create web ref in VS accessing just the xxx.asmx url the web
methods come up on the screen, but i get the error described in the first
post in the pane on the right. I can also access the xxx.asmx url thru the
browser and the page comes up and looks normal and i can drill down into the
methods and see the soap stuff, but when i click the Service Description
link, the page is blank.

thanks

TS

I noticed that the central admin, the MySite site, the shared service
provider admin site, and the default site where i have my document library
where the excel file i'm trying to open is - all of their _vti_bin directory
points to the exact same place

i can successfully create proxy class for the central admin and the MySite
site, so i know that the web service, excelservice.asmx, is not faulty but
theres some other reason why i can't access the default site.

while trying to fix my issue, i tried to delete the web sites of the SSP to
delete it and start over but i couldn't do it all the way, and now the
default web site is housed in this SSP, and another SSP i created houses the
mySite and SSP admin site.

The point i'm at is since i have a web proxy that works, i try to step into
my code again where i do a :
string sessionId = es.OpenWorkbook(targetWorkbookPath, string.Empty,
string.Empty, out outStatus);

i get an "You do not have permissions to open this file on Excel Services."
error message because i am using the proxy class for the central admin and
the mysites. I think the deal is that my proxy class points to a different
website than the excel file i'm trying to open (its on the default web site)

thanks

TS

also, i have all sites in the trusted site locations and i am an admin on
the box and in sharepoint i am in the owners group with full control and i
access the web service as myself (thru impersonation and defaultCredentials)

TS

OK, i have since created a new website and set it up fully. when i try to
create a proxy for it i get the same error i did on the previous websites.

But i have found success in accessing the excel file in the MySite site
using the MySite proxy i created. I am happy for this, but still don't know
why i can't do this in a site that isn't a mySite (like the one i just
created above).

thanks steven.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello TS,

So after you clear and reinstall the services, they still report the same
error when you try adding webreference or creating service proxy? Then, is
there any particular error or warning when you try visiting the asmx page
in webbrowser(IE)? Generally, the webservice proxy generator will first
request the WSDL document of webservice before creating service proxy, if
the WSDL documetn has problem to display , it will certainly cause the
proxy generation fail....

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

TS

yes still error when creating proxy. when i hit the .asmx page in browser it
comes up perfectly, but when i click link to go to the service description
(wsdl), the page is blank.

sharepoint comes with excelservicewsdl.aspx instead of a .wsdl file to do
some dynamic generation stuff. like i said earlier, since the site that i
have successfully registered the web service uses these exact same .asmx and
..aspx files (same _vti_bin dir) i know there is not a problem with these
files.

thx

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello TS,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I think the blank service description page should be the cause of the
problem. Have you tried any other SPS2007 server to see whether it also
return such as blank page for excel service's service description?

As for the client proxy generationt utility(wsdl.exe or vs ide's add
webreference), it will require the WSDL document(service description) of
the webservice, if not availbe, it will fail to generate webservice client
proxy.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

peterverster

TS said:
i haven't seen any others no.

When addressing the WSDL file of the Excel web service you need to
point it at the shared services site. However the spreadsheet you might
want to work with is located in another site, the shared services is
still responsible for the webservices.

TS

thanks