Webservice suggestions

Sean-usenet

Hello everyone

I am brand-new to webservices, but do have programming experience. I
created a webservice that looks up the current lottery Jackpot amounts
for several lottery games. I was hoping some of you experts could
take a look at the webservices and make sure everything is looking
like a webservice should.

http://www.musl.com/webservices/gameinfo.asmx

A lot of extra stuff appears when a webservice is invoked, i am not
sure if that stuff needs to be removed somehow or if it is good to
have for some reason. In my vb.net code, the webservice is returning
a DataSet.

Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sean

John Saunders

Sean-usenet said:
Hello everyone

I am brand-new to webservices, but do have programming experience. I
created a webservice that looks up the current lottery Jackpot amounts
for several lottery games. I was hoping some of you experts could
take a look at the webservices and make sure everything is looking
like a webservice should.

http://www.musl.com/webservices/gameinfo.asmx

A lot of extra stuff appears when a webservice is invoked, i am not
sure if that stuff needs to be removed somehow or if it is good to
have for some reason. In my vb.net code, the webservice is returning
a DataSet.

Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!

If you're brand new to web services, then don't remove anything. You do not
have the experience necessary to decide what to remove.

Besides, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

John

Sean-usenet

Thanks for the reply John. I do want to learn more about webservices,
that is why i posted the link to my webservice. How do the results of
the Invoke look? Is it recommended to have all the schema information
returned, or should I remove that since my webservice is so basic?

I'm looking for feedback, help me learn :)

Sean

John Saunders

Sean-usenet said:
Thanks for the reply John. I do want to learn more about webservices,
that is why i posted the link to my webservice. How do the results of
the Invoke look? Is it recommended to have all the schema information
returned, or should I remove that since my webservice is so basic?

I'm looking for feedback, help me learn :)

Then learn an extremely valuable lesson: don't touch code for no reason. You
have not expressed any reason to remove anything. If there is no such
reason, then don't do it!

Very often I'm asked, "what's the best/fastest/best designed way to do x".
My answer is "do it so that it works, then get to work on the next thing".
If it is too slow, that would be a reason to change things. If it needs to
change because it needs to be more general, then that might be a reason to
apply a Design Pattern. If it turns out that it doesn't really work, then
that would be the best reason of all to change things.

But if none of the above apply, then there is usually more code to write,
and you'd be better off spending your time on the other code until a better
reason arises.

John

P.S. When I say "works", I mean that, ideally, all of its automated unit
tests should pass. A good set of automated tests will give you a real,
executable definition of "it works". This is very useful when you go to
improve the performance or the design. It allows you to say, "I improved the
performance/design" and still, "it works".

Sean-usenet

Well, I wrote this webservice as a learning experience not for a
production need. So, while I understand your logic of "get it working
and go on to the next project" - it doesn't really apply to this. The
whole goal of this was to start learning how to build good webservices
that follow accepted practices. I made this one as well as I could
from my own reading and research, now I am hoping that someone familar
with using webservices can take a look at it and give me some
suggestions.

John Saunders

Sean-usenet said:
Well, I wrote this webservice as a learning experience not for a
production need. So, while I understand your logic of "get it working
and go on to the next project" - it doesn't really apply to this. The
whole goal of this was to start learning how to build good webservices
that follow accepted practices. I made this one as well as I could
from my own reading and research, now I am hoping that someone familar
with using webservices can take a look at it and give me some
suggestions.

Sorry, but that person won't be me. I don't have time for that. I'm working
on the next project, and the one after that, and the one after that!

John