WebService Timeout Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by BBuff, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. BBuff

    BBuff Guest

    I know this is going to be a very ambiguous question from the get-go,
    but here it goes.

    We're experiencing a very intermittent problem with our web services
    timing out. Unfortunately the IIS and Event logs don't contain really
    any useful information about any problems that are popping up. Does
    anyone know of something we should look at in general? Below are the
    exception information and stack trace.

    Exception Information
    Exception Type: System.Net.WebException
    Response: NULL
    Message: The operation has timed-out.
    TargetSite: System.Net.WebResponse
    GetWebResponse(System.Net.WebRequest)
    HelpLink: NULL
    Source: System.Web.Services

    StackTrace Information
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at Colonial.Neptune.CampusWS.CampusWS.GetDependents(String key1,
    String key2)
    at Colonial.Neptune.TES.TESCampusWS.GetDependentsData(String
    identifier, String account)

    BBuff, Oct 27, 2003

  2. BBuff

    Yilmaz Kara Guest

    I am experiencing the same problem. This happens when I call the web service
    for the first time after a long period of waiting time such as a couple of
    hours. It acts as if it is sleeping, and trying to wake up. Somehow the
    wakeup duration doesn't seem to be long enough, and returns with this
    notorious timeout exception. When I try for the second time right after the
    first failure it works very fast and returns successfully. First I thought
    it must be due to the web service going into sleep mode, but now I am
    suspicious about the SQL connection as well. May be it is the SQL server
    because I happened to experience similar problems when I try to login
    through an ASP.NET page, especially using SSL (https address).

    I hope someone from MS could help us resolve this timeout issue, what to
    blame among the web service, ASP.NET app or SQL server, and how to fix it.

    Thanks,
    Yilmaz

    Yilmaz Kara, Nov 3, 2003