Webservice timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Lars123, May 26, 2004.

  1. Lars123

    Lars123 Guest

    Hi,

    I have a .exe that uses a webservice to access data from a SQL server
    2000.

    However I have a timeout problem, somewhere along the line.

    I have set the webservice timeout (Service.Timeout = 300000) to 5
    minutes.
    On the query I have set the command timeout (cmd.CommandTimeout =
    300;) to 5 minutes.

    On the IIS I have set ASP script Timeout to 300s.

    I still got a timeout logged after 40s in the eventlog with the
    following message :
    -----------
    Timeout expired

    --------

    What could generate this timeout? All code and database are on the
    same server .

    Regards
    Lars123, May 26, 2004

  2. Hi Lars

    I've got a similar problem, and put a post on:

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.webservices

    someone gave me a couple of hints, så you might wanna check it out too. I
    won't have time to try it out until tomorrow, so I don't know if it'll solve
    my problem.

    Regards,

    Søren

    Søren M. Olesen, May 26, 2004

  3. There are two other places where you want to look for timeouts:

    1) IIS configuration. Properties of the web site where your service lives
    have a setting "Connection timeout";
    2) machine.config has a setting <httpRuntime executionTimeout="..." ... />

    Setting those two to 5min + plus setting SQL command timeout and service
    proxy timeout should be sufficient.

    --
    Vitaly.
    -------