WebService w/o .ASMX file (ASP.net 2.0)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay Douglas, May 15, 2007.

  1. Jay Douglas

    Jay Douglas Guest

    Is there any way to have a webservice w/o using the .asmx file?

    I have a class library that has various web service classes. I would like
    to have the capability of deploying these web services w/o the .asmx files.
    Is there something I can put in the web.config? I tried playing around with
    the HttpHandlers, reading on the net, etc. I'm unable to find a solution
    and the task seems plausible.

    Any suggestions or advise?

    Thanks in advance!

    Jay

    http://www.jaydouglas.com
    Jay Douglas, May 15, 2007

  2. Yes, you can create a DLL that can be hit as a web service. You end up
    writing a lot of infrastructure to handle this, but it can be done. Afer you
    are finished, you will be responsible for publishing your own WSDL to
    describe the contract. If this sounds like fun, you can tackle it.
    Personally, I would consider another method.

    Best other method is to bite the bullet and move up to WCF.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 15, 2007