webservices, return xml without .net injecting xml schema

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Peter Nofelt, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. Peter  Nofelt

    Peter Nofelt Guest

    Hey all,

    I want to return an xml structure without .net trying to inject any of
    its xml schema? Can this be done?

    Here is the scenario:
    I'm running into an issue with the return string of my .NET
    webservice. I am attempting to return an xml string similar to this:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <sInfo>
    <name>tom</name>
    <title>boss</title>
    <stuff>
    <anyType>wow</anyType>
    <anyType>wow2</anyType>
    </stuff>
    </sInfo>

    But instead I receive this:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <sInfo xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
    xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
    <name>tom</name>
    <title>boss</title>
    <stuff>
    <anyType xsi:type="xsd:string">wow</anyType>
    <anyType xsi:type="xsd:string">wow2</anyType>
    </stuff>
    </sInfo>

    Note, for my webservice I am returning a struct. The definition of that

    struct is:
    public class sInfo{
    public string name;
    public string title;
    public ArrayList stuff;
    //public Array smArray;
    public sInfo()
    {
    stuff = new ArrayList();

    Most importantly I do not want any of the 'xsi:type=' attributes to
    be present in the return structure. Is there any way to override the
    return so that I can return self defined xml. I am even willing on
    returning hand built xml, but .NET encapsulates the structure within a
    <string> tag?

    So to summarize, I want to return an xml structure without .net trying
    to inject any of its xml schema? Can this be done?

    Peter Nofelt, Sep 13, 2005