webservices simple example problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by jeroen.van.vlierden@singulus.nl, May 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to get familiar with the possibilities of webservices
    under
    the .Net development environment. I have created from the .Net 2003
    IDE
    a test application ASP .Net Webservice

    I have uncommented the "Hello World" Section in the code and when I
    run
    the program with F5 it shows me the list of available methods in the
    service. Obviously that is only 1 method: Hello World.

    When I click it I go to a testpage that says

    "To test the operation using the HTTP POST protocol, click the
    'Invoke'
    button. "

    When I do that Internet Explorer says "Page not Found"

    What am i doing wrong that causes the most simple program (without a
    line of my own coding in it) to go wrong??

    I have now also tried this on my home computer which also runs XP-PRO
    and Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2003 and IIS.

    It works fine! At work however I can't figure out why this simple
    example does not work. It has to be some kind of security setting or
    policy.

    Can anyone please give me a clue here?

    thanks in advance

    Jeroen
    , May 3, 2005

  2. Jeroen, I don't have the answer but have a problem I think may be similar.
    Please see the post on 4/26/2005 with subject "wrong Host on example invoke
    pages". and let me know if your problem matches.

    btw Microsoft.. the 4/26 post is much more than 2 days ago. a little long
    for a response on a managed newsgroup subscription. Any attention that can
    be given to this matter would be greatly appriciated.
    Rick Boardman, May 3, 2005

  3. Someone at work here this morning, who was on a .NET course yesterday,
    suggested the right solution!!

    He had something similar during his course yesterday and the course
    leader suggested that c:\windows\temp should be open for user ASPNET to
    write files in.

    On the work computers here we get a pre-installed image and somehow
    somebody seems to think that this directory shouldn't be open (as is by
    default).

    I definitely think this a bug in the .Net framework as well by the way.
    It should check if it wants to create a file in the temp directory that
    it has the rights to do so

    Jeroen van Vlierden, May 4, 2005