Webservices vs Stored Procedures

Tim Greenwood

Can anyone give me a GOOD reason for opting to use webservices on an
internal network for processing that will never be exposed directly to the
public? I'm rather adamantly against going this route and would rather
continue using Stored procedures and let the web/application developers
create their own strongly typed datasets using those SP's. It just seems
like an awful lot of data wasting our internal bandwidth for no good reason.
Now if we were publishing those webservices for public consumption I could
understand it but it seems like a poor use of webservices for developers who
are just being lazy maybe and wanting someone else to do their work

It was also mentioned that with SQL 2005 binary data and serializing will be
a big deal for performance on the server/network. I've not kept up with SQL
since last fall so I'm a bit out of touch on that.....any input anyone??

I really appreciate anything I can get hold of here.

Helen

Hi Tim,

I agree as well. If you are only performing internal data retreival
functions there isnt an overwhelming advantage to creating a Web Service.
I will look into your question about SQL 2005 and attempt to answer it shortly

Kumar Shetgar

Tim...

It depends...
Both versions have their own merits and demerits.
If you have a many number of appplications using a common functionality,
it makes sense to use web service. Because in case if you need to change the
logic of that method...you only need to change it in the web service and
nowhere else.
if you just have one or two applcations...then you can think of SP in the
application.
As I said before...It depends on the scenario. Hope that helps to make your
decision.

-- Kumar Shetgar