WebSetup: how to deploy to non-default web site?

Jens Ansorg

hello,

big issue here:

I want to deploy a .net web application using a Setup.

It works fine as long as I deploy the application to the "default web
site" on the target machine.

But I need to deploy to a different web site than the default.

I cannot find any option in the vs.net WebSetupProject to define the
target web site.

How to do this?

thanks
Jens Ansorg

AndrewF

HI Jens,

You might have to do it with a script. Essentially each web "site" on
the server will have it's own web root and it's own directory on the
server. All you should need to do is XCopy the files across to that
particular folder - most likely VS.NET looks up IIS and justs the
default folder and copies everything there - or it assumes
C:inetpub/www as the default and whacks everything into that.

Assuming you set up a bin folder in your script and xcopy the lot it
should all work happily.

Cheers
AndrewF

Jens Ansorg

AndrewF said:
HI Jens,

You might have to do it with a script. Essentially each web "site" on
the server will have it's own web root and it's own directory on the
server. All you should need to do is XCopy the files across to that
particular folder - most likely VS.NET looks up IIS and justs the
default folder and copies everything there - or it assumes
C:inetpub/www as the default and whacks everything into that.

Assuming you set up a bin folder in your script and xcopy the lot it
should all work happily.

Cheers
AndrewF

hi,

Copying files seems not enough. The setup not only copies files to the
(wrong) server, it also creates virtual directories in IIS. But it does
so in the wrong website.

I tried something else:
create the virtual directories first on the target web site and then run
the setup: it still only goes to default.

I need a way to tell the webSetup to access this other web site instead
of the default one.

Is nobody else hosting different domains on one IIS instance?

thank you
Jens Ansorg

AndrewF

Hi Jens,

Surely each domain has a separate directory in which it resides? If you
know that, you know where to direct your script. Personally I don't
VS.NET as I used C# Develop and Web Matrix instead with make files to
manage all my binaries - in my experience of MS IDEs though I think it
might be trtying to assume too much - purely because most servers that
you'll be deploying to with a script are only going to have one
instance of IIS with one domain on it.

Try something else - which is change the folder path of the default
site from C:\Inetpub\www to a different one and see if the script still
installs to the default. If it does you know it is is picking the name
"Default Site" up from somewhere [maybe IIS, maybe the registry] and
you'll need to find an option in VS.NET to override it.

If however the files are sent to the C:\inetpub\www folder then you
know it has a hard coded reference in there. In that case maybe cut the
script by hand? It can't be that complex to not be able to write a
quick batch script?

Cheers
Andrew