WebSign: A live demonstration to sign your signature on HTML pages,and save it to database

Mike Duffy

WebSign : A live demonstration to sign your signature on HTML pages,
and save it to database (HTML5, Canvas, and Javascript)

I'm not sure I understand this, because it seems too risky.

Are you actually suggesting that people give you graphic examples of their
written signatures? My browser does not support HTML5, so I cannot tell
from the demo if that is what you are asking for.

I cannot imagine anyone trusting their own computer, let alone a remote web
server, with this sort of information.

Shiuh-Lin Lee

I'm not sure I understand this, because it seems too risky.

Are you actually suggesting that people give you graphic examples of their
written signatures? My browser does not support HTML5, so I cannot tell
from the demo if that is what you are asking for.

I cannot imagine anyone trusting their own computer, let alone a remote web
server, with this sort of information.

As an independent software developer, sometimes we need to guess
(predict, gamble on, ...) future trends. We can foresee ...

1) More & more multi-touch screen devices (Windows 7 PCs, Macs,
iPhone, iPad, or something similar from Google,...). These make the
hardware environments mature for WebSign.
2) More & more browsers support HTML5 features in the future, These
make the software environments mature for WebSign. Actually, even
today, I still can use some graphics libraries to make WebSign working
on IEs.
3) You are right, we shouldn't use WebSign on the untrusted public
internet, however we can use it within more secure environments
(intranet, office environments, https, POS, field staff (like UPS,
COD, ...) to collect signatures...)

Think about a very common example, within our office, we almost can
automate all our paper forms through web forms. However, after we fill
out the web forms, we still need to print them out, sign the forms,
the signed forms will be routed to managers, accounting,
personnel, .... for more signatures. These are not just waste papers
and also waste lots of time to collect the signatures manually.

I just hope WebSign can start better ways to handle our daily works
required signatures.

Mike Duffy

On Feb 3, 3:10 pm, Mike Duffy <[email protected]> wrote:
.. within our office, we almost can automate all our paper forms
.. we still need to print them out, sign the forms,

Where I work, the manager just needs to press a button to approve a
purchase I have entered into an intranet web form. The same goes for taking
leave, inventory control, etc. Essentially, the logon that a person has
made to access the computer serves as "proof" of who did something.

Anyways, your application does not have anything to do specifically with
javascript. Probably you should instead try to get some interest from a
group that deals with HTML or browser functions.

Shiuh-Lin Lee

The thing with signatures is not so much that the name in the signature
refers to a specific person (or even if the signature is an accurate
facsimile of the specific person's typical signature) but that some
witness can verify that that specific person put that signature on that
form.

In a legal sense, I don't see how "anonymous" signing can work.

Andrew Poulos

You are right.... but my experience is, when I worked with some IT
companies during the past years, I was keeping asked to sign all kind
NDAs (basically, download & print-out their legal PDF form, sign it,
and mail it back to requesting company)... I did it "anonymously", and
no one asked me to provide witness proofs.

I don't think WebSign (or similar technologies) can resolve
everything, however, it may provide us a different way doing some web
business.

Shiuh-Lin Lee

Where I work, the manager just needs to press a button to approve a
purchase I have entered into an intranet web form. The same goes for taking
leave, inventory control, etc. Essentially, the logon that a person has
made to access the computer serves as "proof" of who did something.

Anyways, your application does not have anything to do specifically with
javascript. Probably you should instead try to get some interest from a
group that deals with HTML or browser functions.

??? Nothing to with Javascript ??? In my demo, I use HTML5 Canvas (&
Javascript event) features to capture a use's signature (or drawing),
and send the captured image as Base64 text to the backend server, then
the backend server convert this Base64 text to a PNG file.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Shiuh-Lin Lee said:
Andrew said:
The thing with signatures is not so much that the name in the signature
refers to a specific person (or even if the signature is an accurate
facsimile of the specific person's typical signature) but that some
witness can verify that that specific person put that signature on that
form.

In a legal sense, I don't see how "anonymous" signing can work.
[...]

You are right.... but my experience is, when I worked with some IT
companies during the past years, I was keeping asked to sign all kind
NDAs (basically, download & print-out their legal PDF form, sign it,
and mail it back to requesting company)... I did it "anonymously", and
no one asked me to provide witness proofs.

LOL. That fools like you can get away with it does not mean it is legally
sound. I hope for you that whoever employed you doesn't read this.
I don't think WebSign (or similar technologies) can resolve everything,
however, it may provide us a different way doing some web business.

Like losing our jobs after it turns out that the electronic signature on a
contract was not authenticated? No, thank you.

PointedEars