    Thank you,
    --
    stullhe104
    Herb, Jun 9, 2008

  2. Hi Stullhe,

    As for the multiple application use common membership/role database, do you
    mean all those web applications' users/roles are completely identical and
    you want all of them point to the same backend database?

    If this is the case, I think you can consider move the membershp, role
    manager database to a central SQL Server database(hosted on a SQL Server
    instance accessible by all the web applications) instead of using the
    default sqlexpress database.

    by default, ASP.NET sqlmemberhsip provider use a SQLExpress database file
    (in App_Data directory), you can find the default setting in the
    machine.config file (the "LocalSqlServer" connectionstring). You can
    override this setting in your ASP.NET application's web.config file

    #Membership and Role Providers in ASP.NET 2.0 Part II
    http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/428.aspx

    and the following article also mentioned how you can setup all the
    necessary ASP.NET service tables/components in an external sql server
    database:

    #Configuring ASP.NET 2.0 Application Services to Use SQL Server 2000 or SQL
    Server 2005

    If there is anything unclear, welcome to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    rights.--------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYg==?= <>
    >Subject: Website Admin Tool
    >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:16:01 -0700

    >Can I use the Website Administration tool to manage users and roles for
    >multiple ASP.NET applications using a single, common ASPNETDB?
    >
    >If so, what changes do I have to make to the web.config files for these
    >various applications to allow authentication from that single ASPNETDB.
    >
    >I'd also like to be able to maintain the users/roles and application

    access
    >from the web server rather than from my development computer. Right now

    it

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 10, 2008

  3. Herb wrote:
    > Can I use the Website Administration tool to manage users and roles
    > for multiple ASP.NET applications using a single, common ASPNETDB?

    Happily, you got an answer. However:

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 10, 2008
  4. Thanks for your input Bob,

    I just forgot to mentioned that this newsgroup is for classic ASP. Should
    have included in my last reply :)

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jun 11, 2008