Website Admin Tool

Herb

Can I use the Website Administration tool to manage users and roles for
multiple ASP.NET applications using a single, common ASPNETDB?

If so, what changes do I have to make to the web.config files for these
various applications to allow authentication from that single ASPNETDB.

I'd also like to be able to maintain the users/roles and application access
from the web server rather than from my development computer. Right now it
seems like I have to make changes to user/roles in each web app and then
transfer the database and code over to the server, just to add a new user.

And each app seems to have it's own ASPNETDB which defeats the goal of a
single point of administration for the server.

Thank you,

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Stullhe,

As for the multiple application use common membership/role database, do you
mean all those web applications' users/roles are completely identical and
you want all of them point to the same backend database?

If this is the case, I think you can consider move the membershp, role
manager database to a central SQL Server database(hosted on a SQL Server
instance accessible by all the web applications) instead of using the
default sqlexpress database.

by default, ASP.NET sqlmemberhsip provider use a SQLExpress database file
(in App_Data directory), you can find the default setting in the
machine.config file (the "LocalSqlServer" connectionstring). You can
override this setting in your ASP.NET application's web.config file

#Membership and Role Providers in ASP.NET 2.0 Part II
http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/428.aspx

and the following article also mentioned how you can setup all the
necessary ASP.NET service tables/components in an external sql server
database:

#Configuring ASP.NET 2.0 Application Services to Use SQL Server 2000 or SQL
Server 2005

If there is anything unclear, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.--------------------

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Herb said:
Can I use the Website Administration tool to manage users and roles
for multiple ASP.NET applications using a single, common ASPNETDB?
Happily, you got an answer. However:

recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your input Bob,

I just forgot to mentioned that this newsgroup is for classic ASP. Should
have included in my last reply :)