Website Development

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jonathan Wood, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Greetings,

    I have extensive programming experience (nearly 20 years) but have yet to
    write a full-blown Web application. In fact, I have done hardly any
    server/client/database programming at all. I now have a client that would
    like me to write a Web-based version of their existing software.

    Since I've worked mostly with Microsoft products, I had assumed .NET would
    be the platform to use. But now I'm not so sure and am looking for advice.
    The software must allow users to log in to access their information and
    enter new information. In addition, certain users will need the ability to
    log in and modify certain content, including the data to be entered by the
    other users. Most likely, the application will need to accept payment
    information as well.

    I am looking for folks who have developed this type of software. What are
    some of the pros and cons of the various platforms and languages for writing
    this type of software? In addition, I expect to need one or two people to
    help me develop this application. So if you have the expertise and
    availability, please email me with details.

    Thanks for any comments!

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits
    Jonathan Wood, Nov 8, 2005

  2. For client-side interactions, I suggest you to write in javascript since
    it's supported by widest range of browsers.

    For server side, I think any of the server-side languages will be able to do
    what you want. So the decision is left on where you want it to run at(IIS or
    Apache or whatever) and which language you think you're more comfortable
    with.

    "Jonathan Wood" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:O2NL31$...

    Lau Lei Cheong, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Welcome Jonathan to this GROUP.
    I recommend ASP.NET for what you need to be done with no hassles.
    Try going through :- http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Hi Jonathan,

    I'd also like to recommend the ASP.NET as your prefered choice. ASP.NET
    provide powerful runtime services based on the .net framework fundamental
    and together with lots of well defined WebServer control and programming
    model which greatly ease our data driven web application developing.
    Also,is the web application an public internet application or intranet
    application? For application's authentication/athorization, ASP.NET have
    also provided support for both scenarios, for intranet application, it can
    utilize the windows domain security schema so as to authentication client
    users through AD. For internet scenario, we can consider use the Forms
    Based authentication which is much more flexible.

    BTW, the .NET 2.0/VS.NET 2005 has just released and the ASP.NET 2.0
    increasingly become more and more powerful and make our development
    tremendously easy. Try getting more info from the following sites:

    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 8, 2005
  5. Thanks for the link!

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits

    Jonathan Wood, Nov 9, 2005
  6. I am aware that ASP.NET is able to do the task. I was just hoping to hear
    some pros and cons of the various available solutions. I do appreciate the
    specifics within your comments.

    This would be an Internet application (not intranet).

    My long term as an MVP just ended but I'm hoping my copy of VS 2005 will
    arrive before my MSDN subscription expires.

    Thanks!

    Jonathan Wood, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Thanks for the response Jonathan,

    BTW, the free Express edition of VS.NET 2005 is also available now:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Jonathan Wood" <>
    | Subject: Re: Website Development
    | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:18:31 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | I am aware that ASP.NET is able to do the task. I was just hoping to hear
    | some pros and cons of the various available solutions. I do appreciate
    the
    | specifics within your comments.
    |
    | This would be an Internet application (not intranet).
    |
    | My long term as an MVP just ended but I'm hoping my copy of VS 2005 will
    | arrive before my MSDN subscription expires.
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | --
    | Jonathan Wood
    | SoftCircuits
    | http://www.softcircuits.com
    | Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Jonathan,
    | >
    | > I'd also like to recommend the ASP.NET as your prefered choice. ASP.NET
    | > provide powerful runtime services based on the .net framework
    fundamental
    | > and together with lots of well defined WebServer control and programming
    | > model which greatly ease our data driven web application developing.
    | > Also,is the web application an public internet application or intranet
    | > application? For application's authentication/athorization, ASP.NET
    have
    | > also provided support for both scenarios, for intranet application, it
    can
    | > utilize the windows domain security schema so as to authentication
    client
    | > users through AD. For internet scenario, we can consider use the Forms
    | > Based authentication which is much more flexible.
    | >
    | > BTW, the .NET 2.0/VS.NET 2005 has just released and the ASP.NET 2.0
    | > increasingly become more and more powerful and make our development
    | > tremendously easy. Try getting more info from the following sites:
    | >
    | > http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    | >
    | > http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/
    | >
    | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Patrick.O.Ige" <>
    | > | Subject: Re: Website Development
    | > | Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:38:17 +1100
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | Welcome Jonathan to this GROUP.
    | > | I recommend ASP.NET for what you need to be done with no hassles.
    | > | Try going through :-
    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    | > | Patrick
    | > |