Website Development

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jonathan Wood, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Greetings,

    I have extensive programming experience (nearly 20 years) but have yet to
    write a full-blown Web application. In fact, I have done hardly any
    server/client/database programming at all. I now have a client that would
    like me to write a Web-based version of their existing software.

    Since I've worked mostly with Microsoft products, I had assumed .NET would
    be the platform to use. But now I'm not so sure and am looking for advice.
    The software must allow users to log in to access their information and
    enter new information. In addition, certain users will need the ability to
    log in and modify certain content, including the data to be entered by the
    other users. Most likely, the application will need to accept payment
    information as well.

    I am looking for folks who have developed this type of software. What are
    some of the pros and cons of the various platforms and languages for writing
    this type of software? In addition, I expect to need one or two people to
    help me develop this application. So if you have the expertise and
    availability, please email me with details.

    Thanks for any comments!

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits
    Jonathan Wood, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Jonathan Wood

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello Jonathan,

    According to the description, it may be not a complicated project. You
    totally can reply on ASP.NET and SQL Server database to achieve. ASP.NET
    is very good on user interface, especially, ASP.NET support form
    authentication which seems to be a proper solution for your requirement;
    And, save the user input in SQL server database and ensure only certain
    account can access them.

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 8, 2005

  3. Thanks, I realize ASP.NET can do it. I was hoping to hear some pros and cons
    of different platforms. But, so far, no one has responded that way.

    Thanks.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits

    Jonathan Wood, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Jonathan Wood

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello Jonathan,

    Since this group is for ASP and realated stuff, you can easily find one who
    is familiar with ASP or ASP.NET here. So the answer is always ASP. To hear
    more voice, I suggest you may post this question to a PHP or JSP related
    group. You may be luck to hear good suggestion for these technologies.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 10, 2005
  5. Thanks!

    BTW, I now have some additional considerations that would tend to have me
    lean towards one .NET language or another.

    Jonathan Wood, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Jonathan Wood

    [MSFT] Guest

    On this issue, my opinion is, if you have experience on VB before, you can
    continue with VB.NET. Otherwise, go with C# instead.

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 11, 2005
  7. this is interesting as well