    --------------

    Please CC a copy of your message to me.
    --------------

    Robin, Jan 13, 2004

  2. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:57:23 -0700,
    Robin <> wrote:
    > Does this site have an official website, if so what's the url? also, if it
    > doesn't does anyone want to help me start one...?

    This group, no. But Perl has some websites:

    http://www.perl.org/
    http://www.cpan.org/

    and, less useful, nowadays:

    http://www.perl.com/

    There are many links from those places to other, useful Perl sites.

    Did you really not think of trying one of www.perl.{org|com}? Don't
    they have google, where you live? When I ask google about Perl, the
    first three links that pop up are the ones I mention above (in the
    wrong order, though ;) )

    Martien
    --

    Martien Verbruggen | Make it idiot proof and someone will make a
    Trading Post Australia | better idiot.

    Martien Verbruggen, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Robin

    Sara Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message news:<btvr7g$fso$>...
    > Does this site have an official website, if so what's the url? also, if it
    > doesn't does anyone want to help me start one...?

    Not a bad idear really. What help do you need? I *might* be able to
    get us some server space. I'f I beg and plead and grovel a sufficient
    amount!

    Gx

    Sara, Jan 13, 2004
  4. (Sara) wrote in

    > "Robin" <> wrote in message
    >> Does this site have an official website, if so what's the url? also,
    >> if it doesn't does anyone want to help me start one...?

    > Not a bad idear really. What help do you need? I *might* be able to
    > get us some server space. I'f I beg and plead and grovel a sufficient
    > amount!

    I am curious as to why the OP thinks there would be a need for a website
    for this *specific* newsgroup: As others have posted, there are many perl
    websites out there, which cover the bulk of the content of this NG, not to
    mention groups.google.com for past (and searchable) discussions.

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

    Marc Bissonnette, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Robin

    Robin Guest

    > Not a bad idear really. What help do you need? I *might* be able to
    > get us some server space. I'f I beg and plead and grovel a sufficient
    > amount!

    I dunno, I already have server space on one site, a whole 30 megs and some
    on another server... which server would this be? Cause if it had a better
    server and sounded better it might be cool. As for the help, I guess
    compiling some of the posts would be all I really need...

    --
    Regards,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 13, 2004
  6. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:10:45 -0700, Robin wrote:

    > compiling some of the posts would be all I really need...

    Oh, is that all? Okay, done.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.perl.misc>

    Seriously, though. It's been done - and done, and done, and done. Do the
    world a favor and learn about the subject (Perl) before inflicting yet
    another half-baked web site upon us. Your job right now is student, not
    teacher.

    Oh, and once you've learned some Perl, you might want to check out
    "Practical Internet Groupware" from O'Reilly & Associates, if you still
    want to build an NNTP/Web gateway.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message
    > Does this site have an official website, if so what's the url? also, if it
    > doesn't does anyone want to help me start one...?

    Here's a template page that I just did, I'd like to do more sites, so I'm
    doing this one for the hell of it.
    Enjoy,
    -Robin

    Robin, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Robin, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:10:45 -0700, Robin wrote:
    >
    > > compiling some of the posts would be all I really need...

    > Oh, is that all? Okay, done.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=comp.lang
    ..perl.misc>

    > Seriously, though. It's been done - and done, and done, and done. Do the
    > world a favor and learn about the subject (Perl) before inflicting yet
    > another half-baked web site upon us. Your job right now is student, not
    > teacher.

    right, but it wouldn't really have to have too much stuff of mine if others
    posted their free source scripts and tutorials... I suck at this language,
    but I still know some of the beginner stuff and am willing to write
    tutorials.

    Thanks for the list.

    -Robin

    Robin, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 13, 2004
  11. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:15:44 -0700, Robin wrote:

    > right, but it wouldn't really have to have too much stuff of mine if others
    > posted their free source scripts and tutorials...

    Others *have* posted those things - and posted them, and posted them, and
    posted them. Do a Google search for "Perl tutorial" - you'll find over
    THIRTY THOUSAND such sites.

    If you seriously want to make a contribution to the community, then the
    best thing you can do is not create Yet Another Perl Site. Instead, focus
    on your current role as a student, and study the sites that are already
    out there.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Robin

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message

    > I dunno, I already have server space on one site, a whole 30 megs and some
    > on another server... which server would this be? Cause if it had a better
    > server and sounded better it might be cool. As for the help, I guess
    > compiling some of the posts would be all I really need...

    And what niche would you hope to fill?

    Provide a list of frequrntly asked questions? (sorry, the perlfaqs already
    exist)
    Provide a list of posts? (google has you beat there)
    Provide posting guidelines? (despite your utter inability to find or
    comprehend them, they are posted here frequently)
    Provide general Perl discussions? (oops, looks like the Perl Monks beat you
    to the punch)
    Provide Perl documentation and instruction? (yet again, most everyone has
    the documentation, and if not there's perldoc.com)
    Provide information about modules? (CPAN)
    Provide information for beginners by a beginner? (I'd hope most people would
    go to learn.perl.org)

    As I said before, learn to program first.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > Your job right now is student, not
    > teacher.

    Amen.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Robin <> wrote:

    > http://www.reachcac.org/robin/perl/

    Please do not lie to the visitors to your site.

    It is not at all "official".

    Tad McClellan, Jan 13, 2004
  15. Robin

    Don Stefani Guest

    Robin wrote:
    > I *suck*

    Is this person for real?
    Why do I feel this person is just acting this clueless?
    I've created a filter to delete messages from <> and now I'm going to do some
    googleing to find out what is meant by 'killfile'. I've heard it used in a negative
    context and it sounds like something I'd like to do to this poster.

    IMHO

    Don

    PS: sorry for the rant, but I dig this group too much.

    Don Stefani, Jan 13, 2004
  16. "Robin" <> wrote in news:bu1v39$rnt$:

    > oops - here it is - forgot to post the link.
    > http://www.reachcac.org/robin/perl/

    You don't read any responses to your posts, do you?

    Do not misappropriate the name of this group. Your site is not official
    anything. If you actually publicize a page with that claim, you should
    expect that a lot of people will be very unhappy. In fact, they might be
    inclined to contact Ms. Rosemary England and complain.

    Sinan.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 14, 2004
  17. Robin

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Don Stefani" <> wrote in message
    > Robin wrote:
    > > I *suck*

    > Is this person for real?
    > Why do I feel this person is just acting this clueless?
    > I've created a filter to delete messages from <> and now I'm

    going to do some
    > googleing to find out what is meant by 'killfile'. I've heard it used in a

    negative
    > context and it sounds like something I'd like to do to this poster.

    You killfiled him without even realizing it... : )

    I keep thinking that this is just a new incarnation of Hudson...

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Robin

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Re: [OT] website for this group

    wrote:
    > I've created a filter to delete messages from <> and
    > now I'm going to do some googleing to find out what is meant by
    > 'killfile'. I've heard it used in a negative context and it sounds
    > like something I'd like to do to this poster.

    Heh heh. It means exactly that: a killfile is a list of filters. Any
    article matching one of the filters is 'killed' (marked as read before
    you ever see it).

    <ObPerl>
    IIRC, the term killfile comes from the KILL files of rn, which was
    written by Larry... (OK, pretty tenuous... :)

    Ben

    --
    "If a book is worth reading when you are six, *
    it is worth reading when you are sixty." - C.S.Lewis

    Ben Morrow, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Robin

    Robin Guest

    oops...wrong server.... anyway, I'm scattered as all hell.

    --
    Regards,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 14, 2004