Website Help / Will not work in IE works in Firefox

dmmitchell

Hello, all -

I am making a website for a group I am involved in. I designed it with
Dreamweaver, and tested it in Firefox. Unfortunately, though, I
discovered upon showing other people that it does not appear in IE.

The website address, temporarily, is:

www.umit.maine.edu/~derek.mitchell/index.htm

Please let me know what might fix this. I've been learning as I go,
and cannot figure this one out.

Thank you,
Derek

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?TXIuRyAgKEC/QCk=?=

Hello, all -

I am making a website for a group I am involved in. I designed it with
Dreamweaver, and tested it in Firefox. Unfortunately, though, I
discovered upon showing other people that it does not appear in IE.

The website address, temporarily, is:

www.umit.maine.edu/~derek.mitchell/index.htm

Please let me know what might fix this. I've been learning as I go,
and cannot figure this one out.

Thank you,
Derek

Hi, tried it in firefox and it look good. I noticed in the URL address
box there was a tilda, I think that could be your problem. You might
have to define that inside the <body> tag.

John Hosking

Mr.G (@¿@) said:
On Oct 1, 5:25 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

Hi, tried it in firefox and it look good. I noticed in the URL address
box there was a tilda, I think that could be your problem. You might
have to define that inside the <body> tag.

Um, no.

Chaddy2222

This is true. I think the Op should siriously consider the benifits of
proper use of CSS and HTML and drop the nested table layout as the
site does not even really need all those tables anyway.

Sherm Pendley

"Mr.G (@¿@)" said:
Hi, tried it in firefox and it look good. I noticed in the URL address
box there was a tilda, I think that could be your problem.

That's absurd.

Tildes - note the spelling - are perfectly valid and widely used in URLs, for
the same reason they're used in paths appearing elsewhere, to indicate a user
name. The above system is configured to allow each user his own htdocs/ dir,
and the URL above will be served from Derek's account on that server.

What's more, what kind of (il)logic leads you to the idea that a URL can cause
layout problems? A broken URL wouldn't load at all.

That said, I'm not even sure what layout issues we're talking about here - it
looks pretty much the same to me, with IE6, IE7, Safari, and FF.

sherm--

John Hosking

Sherm said:
To be honest, I'm not certain what you're asking. Here's what I see with IE6:

<http://dot-app.org/screen.gif>

Ah. You lucky dog. Here's what *I* see:
<http://mypage.bluewin.ch/jlh/UMaineSG.jpg>

The OP has changed a few things since I responded but my IE6 (and, I
presume, his as well) still shows a gaping hole where the body text
should be. Apparently it's not because of validation errors or his JS
marquee, both since removed...

Blinky the Shark

John said:
Ah. You lucky dog. Here's what *I* see:
<http://mypage.bluewin.ch/jlh/UMaineSG.jpg>

The OP has changed a few things since I responded but my IE6 (and, I
presume, his as well) still shows a gaping hole where the body text
should be. Apparently it's not because of validation errors or his JS
marquee, both since removed...

Okay here with IE6/XPsp2 (other than that banner image never
completing). It's also slow, but college kids have broadband.

Sherm Pendley

John Hosking said:
Ah. You lucky dog. Here's what *I* see:
<http://mypage.bluewin.ch/jlh/UMaineSG.jpg>

Ah! Well, at least I understand the question now. Can't explain it though.

My IE6 is part of a "virgin" XP install that hasn't been updated. That's not
as dangerous as it sounds - I only run it for testing, and then only in a
Parallels virtual session. :)

So maybe the page relies on some bug in early builds of IE6 that was fixed
in later releases. Other than that possibility, I have no idea what the
problem might be.

sherm--

Vaxius

Hello, all -

I am making a website for a group I am involved in. I designed it with
Dreamweaver, and tested it in Firefox. Unfortunately, though, I
discovered upon showing other people that it does not appear in IE.

The website address, temporarily, is:

www.umit.maine.edu/~derek.mitchell/index.htm

Please let me know what might fix this. I've been learning as I go,
and cannot figure this one out.

Thank you,
Derek

The only thing I can think of suggesting is to clean up the css, use
proper tags (<br> or <br /> instead of <BR>) and see if it works.
Otherwise, I'd look into restructuring your page to get rid of the
tables completely and use divs. Also, using FrontPage is one of the
worst things you can do to your site as far as W3C compliance goes, so
I would think about using something else.

Jonathan N. Little

Actually said:
Otherwise, I'd look into restructuring your page to get rid of the
tables completely and use divs.

or P for paragraphs, H# for headings and UL for list...
Also, using FrontPage is one of the
worst things you can do to your site as far as W3C compliance goes, so
I would think about using something else.

We Word or Publisher has proven to be far worse, but just about any
"WYSIWYG" editor without careful tweaking produces subpar results.

Vaxius

Actually <BR> or <br> is proper for *html*, <br /> for *xhtml*

I included <br> as a proper tag, and I concede that the rest are
technically valid. I just thought that all lowercase is simply the
generally accepted method...and all caps tags really annoy me, too. =P

Also, I know that <br /> is an xhtml thing, but there's no reason not to
use it, especially if the OP wants to make his site xhtml compatible in
the future with minimal effort.
or P for paragraphs, H# for headings and UL for list...

We Word or Publisher has proven to be far worse, but just about any
"WYSIWYG" editor without careful tweaking produces subpar results.

Haha, I used Publisher back in 96-97 when I was inexperienced and didn't
know any better (I learned soon after the kinds of evil things it was
doing to my pages).

Dan

Also, I know that <br /> is an xhtml thing, but there's no reason not to
use it, especially if the OP wants to make his site xhtml compatible in
the future with minimal effort.

Only if the doctype is XHTML; it's invalid for HTML (or, technically
speaking, means something different; under the HTML standard, the
slash terminates the tag, leaving the right angle bracket as a plain
text character, though browsers don't actually interpret it that way
although the official standard says they should).

Ritwik Kumar

Hi ,
can u pl help me sort out this problem.....
a site http://www.kuliza.com/ open quite well if i use Internet
explorer but
display if i use firefox is not as desired.... wat could be the reason

ritwik kumar

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:06:18 GMT
Ritwik Kumar scribed:
Hi ,
can u pl help me sort out this problem.....
a site http://www.kuliza.com/ open quite well if i use Internet
explorer but
display if i use firefox is not as desired.... wat could be the reason

ritwik kumar

Wow, that is one radical difference! The main reason is you designed for
ie, not for standards-compliant browsers. As for specifics, I really don't
have time to recreate your page from scratch, but kudos on the marketing
line "Products at Kuliza are designed by gurus".

Knut Krueger

Ritwik said:
Hi ,
can u pl help me sort out this problem.....
a site http://www.kuliza.com/ open quite well if i use Internet
explorer but
display if i use firefox is not as desired.... wat could be the reason

ritwik kumar
Maybe you should try to solve the HTML errors first,
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.kuliza.com/
and second
the CSS code
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
(this advice was given to me from this group after my first question ;-)
but it is very helpful )

Regards Knut