    word correcting it, saving the edit, before it is fixed and finally coming
    out the way it is suppose to. Why could this be happening? I have a CSS
    format happening if this helps with trying to rectify problem.
    Starman, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Starman wrote:

    > I want to know what and why it is happening when I copy/paste some written
    > material into my website's HTML edit. It seems anything with commas or
    > quotation marks, seems to, once I've saved my edit, come up as weird
    > characters online. It's hard to explain, but I have to go through word by
    > word correcting it, saving the edit, before it is fixed and finally coming
    > out the way it is suppose to. Why could this be happening? I have a CSS
    > format happening if this helps with trying to rectify problem.

    Crystal ball broken. Provide URL.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Starman

    Jim Moe Guest

    Starman wrote:
    > I want to know what and why it is happening when I copy/paste some written
    > material into my website's HTML edit. It seems anything with commas or
    > quotation marks, seems to, once I've saved my edit, come up as weird
    > characters online. [...]

    You are likely copying characters that do not belong in a website's
    character set. This is a common beginner's problem.
    Quotes in written material are often a matched pair. It is possible to
    get these in HTML as well but requires using special escape sequences. For
    unmatched double quotes (opening and closing look the same) use """.
    Search the web for other quote combinations.
    I am not sure why commas are a problem. I did not know there are
    "special" commas. But I suspect the problem is the same.

    > [...]I have a CSS
    > format happening if this helps with trying to rectify problem.

    CSS has nothing to do with character sets and representation.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Starman

    Starman Guest

    Thanks Jim. Any ideas as to what websites I can peruse for further
    information regarding what you've outlined?

    Starman, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Starman

    Jim Moe Guest

    Starman wrote:
    > Thanks Jim. Any ideas as to what websites I can peruse for further
    > information regarding what you've outlined?

    <http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8-t1.html>

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Starman

    sparty1984 Guest

    where are you copying the data from?

    if it is coming from something like Word or Excel, you are probably
    getting some hidden special format characters.

    one way to check it is to paste into an editor that can display hex
    values.
    sparty1984, Mar 8, 2006
  7. Starman

    Starman Guest

    Jim,

    had a look at this, kinda above me technically but I can say that the
    characters that are coming up on my site are the following:

    [Æ] , [æ] , [?]...

    So how do I rectify?

    Starman, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Starman

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Starman
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > I want to know what and why it is happening when I copy/paste some written
    > material into my website's HTML edit. It seems anything with commas or
    > quotation marks, seems to, once I've saved my edit, come up as weird
    > characters online.

    Sounds like you're most likely copying it from Word or something.
    Microsoft use a number of invalid characters in a lot of their programs.
    When you try and use those same characters on the web, the results are
    unpredictable at best.

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Mark Parnell, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Starman

    Jim Moe Guest

    Starman wrote:

    > had a look at this, kinda above me technically but I can say that the
    > characters that are coming up on my site are the following:
    >
    > [Æ] , [æ] , [?]...
    >
    > So how do I rectify?

    Use your search and replace function after copying to the web page file.
    These are the special codes your word processor uses for quotes and
    commas. There nothing you can do directly.
    Another option is to save the original as a text file, then copy/paste
    from there.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Starman

    Starman Guest

    Yes I've copied it from a HTML file as well as a Word. doc file. So if I
    save it as a Text file as Jim suggest, will this help with rectifying the
    problem?

    Starman, Mar 9, 2006
  11. Starman

    Starman Guest

    Jim,

    Pardon my ignorance but what is a "search and replace" function?

    Starman, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Starman

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Starman
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Yes I've copied it from a HTML file as well as a Word. doc file. So if I
    > save it as a Text file as Jim suggest, will this help with rectifying the
    > problem?

    Possibly. I'm not sure what Word does with those characters if you save
    as plain text. Copying and pasting into Notepad doesn't fix it, so
    saving as text may not either.

    Search and replace would likely be your best option.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 9, 2006
  13. Starman wrote:

    > Jim,
    >
    > Pardon my ignorance but what is a "search and replace" function?

    I don't use Word, but in OpenOffice it is called "Find and Replace" and
    it is on the Edit menu.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer