    Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their hardrive if
    possible.

    thanks!
    shank, Jul 16, 2004

  2. http://www.aspfaq.com/2443

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 16, 2004

  3. shank

    Bullschmidt Guest

    <<
    I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
    It would be based on ASP and have a database.
    Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
    I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an
    application, but could that be implemented within the website?
    Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their
    hardrive if possible.

    At first I didn't think it would work but then on my development PC for
    my own Web site's sample database I turned on the read-only property of
    the Access database and the site worked fine reading information but of
    course gave an error when I tried to save a record.

    But as I mentioned this was on my development PC which already has
    Microsoft IIS installed as a local Web server which I imagine would be a
    big hurdle for your users.

    But of course one thing I like about databases on the Web is that local
    installations and/or CD updates, etc. are no longer needed.

    In other words you could set things up so that users have to log in.
    And instead of giving a user a CD, just give him a username, password,
    and a Web address to go to.

    And to see a sample database on the Web ( www.bullschmidt.com/login.asp
    )

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Classic ASP Web Designer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Classic ASP Design Tips, ASP Web Database Demo, ASP Bar Chart Tool...

    Bullschmidt, Jul 16, 2004
  4. I'm doing this myself.
    We have created a VB app based on an ASP site which uses a com object and
    javascript to display the content from the site.
    You can't do it in straight ASP because this requires IIS and another user
    may not have this installed, so you have to create thm a virtual server
    application (in effect) using a COM object.

    If you know VB and Javascript you sould be able to put your site on a CD,
    but means you would have to install a dll etc onto the users mchine to view
    your CD sites content.

    Equally, you can create the site on an asp to html grabber, but this content
    won't be dynamic if you use a DB that later you may want to update.

    Hope that helps
    Stu

    Stuart Palmer, Jul 24, 2004
  5. shank

    Bã§TãRÐ Guest

    Most products that run sites on a cd emmulate the way a browser works
    (usually IE) - you're dB would have to be a flat .txt file and the
    code to pull it out would have to be JavaScript. Both are
    non-proprietary and would work well enough to get the point across.
    Its sounds like an interesting project. You'd have some huge arrays in
    JS depending on the amount of content you wanted. But it is possible,
    if not difficult.

    Hope this helps.

    - Bastard

    Bã§TãRÐ, Jul 27, 2004