Website Pricing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Kathleen Coyne, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. I have been creating websites as a hobby for quite a few years, and
    it's gotten around that I'm pretty good at it.

    I've now been hired to create a website for a company. The person
    wants to pay me hourly, but given my slow methodical nature, and his
    nature to pick at and change and test this and that, this can easily
    creep into thousands of dollars.

    Well... I'm too honest to run away with more money than he would have
    spent if he hired a professional.

    I want to give the guy a fair deal. What is the average pricing
    meathod for websites?

    What I am required to do is create a website for an architecture firm.
    Essentially, just a portfolio and contact information. From what he
    has given me, he would like to have about 40 pages. I also have to do
    everything that is required for getting the site up onto the internet
    - finding webspace, domain name, and upload. After the site is
    completed, I'll then be required to maintain it by updating
    information every year or so. I also may be required to get the
    portfolio into a digital media... such as scanning slides and
    presentation boards.

    Would a fair deal be to charge hourly for meetings discussing the
    site, and for scanning slides, but then charge per webpage? If so,
    how much is the going rate charging by page?

    Thanks for your help.
    Kathleen Coyne, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Kathleen Coyne

    Dan Brussee Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On 1 Jul 2003 12:00:52 -0700, (Kathleen Coyne)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have been creating websites as a hobby for quite a few years, and
    > > it's gotten around that I'm pretty good at it.

    > Well done!
    >

    > > I've now been hired to create a website for a company. The person
    > > wants to pay me hourly, but given my slow methodical nature, and his
    > > nature to pick at and change and test this and that, this can easily
    > > creep into thousands of dollars.

    > Charge fairly. Remember, you are methodical, and you do it once. And only
    > once. Don't undercharge though.
    >

    > > Well... I'm too honest to run away with more money than he would have
    > > spent if he hired a professional.

    > Start thinking that you're a professional. If you have a problem with that,
    > then why not suggest a take-on fee for the first 10 pages at $20 per hour,
    > and a rate thereafter that is negotiable and agreeable to both parties.
    >
    > Sid

    I agree. Being a professional is really just a matter of being paid for
    doing it. Also keep in mind that just because you are paid, does not
    automatically make you "good"!

    Assuming the client knows your method of doing work, do not assume they
    will have a problem - even with "thousands of dollars". Depending on
    what they want and how much time "THEY" spend tweaking it, if they
    suggested per hour, give it to them. That way when they are micro-
    managing the site, they know up front they are paying you for the
    privilege.

    My 2cents anyway :)

    --

    Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.
    Dan Brussee, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Kathleen Coyne

    Leslie Guest

    Coyne) wrote:

    >I have been creating websites as a hobby for quite a few years, and
    >it's gotten around that I'm pretty good at it.
    >
    >I've now been hired to create a website for a company. The person
    >wants to pay me hourly, but given my slow methodical nature, and his
    >nature to pick at and change and test this and that, this can easily
    >creep into thousands of dollars.
    >
    >Well... I'm too honest to run away with more money than he would have
    >spent if he hired a professional.

    Well, if he's hiring you that makes you a professional, doesn't it?

    I, too, created web pages, basically as a hobby, for several years. I
    did sites for friends and never charged them anything because I was
    still learning (and hope I always will!) and I was having so much fun
    doing it.

    Last year I was approached by a friend, CEO of a local business, to
    take over the maintenance of their web site and to 'fix' some errors.
    He asked me to look over the site and get back to him with my
    thoughts, recommendations and my fee. Visually the site was very
    attractive (designed by a graphics guru who had no idea what HTML was
    - she was given a copy of Dreamweaver and let loose.) but the code was
    enough to give me a migraine.

    Long story short: I told my CEO friend that the site's coding was a
    mess, and that if he still wanted to hire me I'd start from scratch,
    but keep the original design and graphics. I told him it would take
    many hours to bring the code up to snuff, but when I was finished it
    the site would be cross browswer compatible and wouldn't display willy
    nilly - depending on what browser was used. After swallowing real
    hard I have him an hourly rate that was way above what I thought he'd
    go for. He didn't blink an eye. The job was mine at the first rate
    I'd quoted.

    Since that time I've put in a quite a few hours on this site, and you
    know what? Sending that monthly invoice has made working on their
    site that much more fun. The best part, though, is that the people at
    the business are very pleased with my work and frequently tell me so.
    AND, I'm getting jobs from other companies based on the work on my
    friend's site.

    My point - don't ever be afraid to ask for a decent hourly rate, and
    make sure you're prompt in responding to requests for updates/changes
    and you may soon see your hobby turn into a fun, lucrative business!

    Good luck!

    Leslie
    Leslie, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Kathleen Coyne

    Blindsya Guest

    "Leslie" <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Jul 2003 12:00:52 -0700, (Kathleen
    > Coyne) wrote:
    >
    > >I have been creating websites as a hobby for quite a few years, and
    > >it's gotten around that I'm pretty good at it.
    > >
    > >I've now been hired to create a website for a company. The person
    > >wants to pay me hourly, but given my slow methodical nature, and his
    > >nature to pick at and change and test this and that, this can easily
    > >creep into thousands of dollars.
    > >
    > >Well... I'm too honest to run away with more money than he would have
    > >spent if he hired a professional.

    > Well, if he's hiring you that makes you a professional, doesn't it?
    >
    > I, too, created web pages, basically as a hobby, for several years. I
    > did sites for friends and never charged them anything because I was
    > still learning (and hope I always will!) and I was having so much fun
    > doing it.
    >
    > Last year I was approached by a friend, CEO of a local business, to
    > take over the maintenance of their web site and to 'fix' some errors.
    > He asked me to look over the site and get back to him with my
    > thoughts, recommendations and my fee. Visually the site was very
    > attractive (designed by a graphics guru who had no idea what HTML was
    > - she was given a copy of Dreamweaver and let loose.) but the code was
    > enough to give me a migraine.
    >
    > Long story short: I told my CEO friend that the site's coding was a
    > mess, and that if he still wanted to hire me I'd start from scratch,
    > but keep the original design and graphics. I told him it would take
    > many hours to bring the code up to snuff, but when I was finished it
    > the site would be cross browswer compatible and wouldn't display willy
    > nilly - depending on what browser was used. After swallowing real
    > hard I have him an hourly rate that was way above what I thought he'd
    > go for. He didn't blink an eye. The job was mine at the first rate
    > I'd quoted.
    >
    > Since that time I've put in a quite a few hours on this site, and you
    > know what? Sending that monthly invoice has made working on their
    > site that much more fun. The best part, though, is that the people at
    > the business are very pleased with my work and frequently tell me so.
    > AND, I'm getting jobs from other companies based on the work on my
    > friend's site.
    >
    > My point - don't ever be afraid to ask for a decent hourly rate, and
    > make sure you're prompt in responding to requests for updates/changes
    > and you may soon see your hobby turn into a fun, lucrative business!
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Leslie

    And how much was the hourly rate you charged?
    Blindsya, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Kathleen Coyne

    P@tty Ayers Guest

    > Assuming the client knows your method of doing work, do not assume they
    > will have a problem - even with "thousands of dollars". Depending on
    > what they want and how much time "THEY" spend tweaking it, if they
    > suggested per hour, give it to them. That way when they are micro-
    > managing the site, they know up front they are paying you for the
    > privilege.

    Amen to this, and to others who are encouraging you to charge real fees for real work.

    I have an article on this at my site which might be of interest: "What Should I Charge? Finding Your Own Right Answer" - http://webdevbiz.com/ ..

    --
    P@tty Ayers
    http://www.WebDevBiz.com
    P@tty Ayers, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Kathleen Coyne

    Leslie Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:15:54 +0100, "Blindsya" <> wrote:

    >"Leslie" <> wrote in message

    >> My point - don't ever be afraid to ask for a decent hourly rate, and
    >> make sure you're prompt in responding to requests for updates/changes
    >> and you may soon see your hobby turn into a fun, lucrative business!
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> Leslie
    >>

    >And how much was the hourly rate you charged?

    I really don't think my hourly rate is relevant to this conversation.
    I live in a small town in the Midwest, USA where the cost of living is
    less than in other, more urban areas. Because the cost of living is
    less so is the general pay scale. In a place like NYC my hourly rate
    would be considered incredibly cheap, but here it's well above the
    average wage.

    IMHO hourly rates should be based on ability and what the market will
    bear. In this particular instance my first rate fee was well above
    what I thought the local market would bear, and I priced myself high
    to be able to dicker a bit. Again, *in this particular instance,* I
    didn't have to dicker, but that doesn't mean that the next time I
    quote that rate to a new client I won't be laughed out of her office.

    The point of my first post was not the specific dollar amount to
    charge, but to never short-change yourself in the market.

    Leslie
    Leslie, Jul 2, 2003
  7. Kathleen Coyne

    P@tty Ayers Guest

    > The point of my first post was not the specific dollar amount to
    > charge, but to never short-change yourself in the market.

    Hear, hear. Under-pricing is rampant in our trade, and it doesn't help anybody to have people offering to work for less than a living wage (which covers the *real* costs, including keeping up an office, hardware, software, paying utilities, spending time at sales and marketing, etc.).

    P@tty Ayers, Jul 3, 2003