    for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
    Can anyone help please?

    Ken
    Ken Soon, May 7, 2007

  2. Ken Soon

    kwan Guest

    On May 6, 5:49 pm, "Ken Soon" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
    > allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
    > then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
    > questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
    > age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
    > know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.
    >
    > I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
    > for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
    > Can anyone help please?
    >
    > Ken

    google Perl cgi tutorial, you will get pretty of information
    kwan, May 7, 2007

  3. Ken Soon

    Guest

    http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.55/DBI.pm

    > Plus, there is also some questions for the users to answer for
    > statistics purposes, such as age,monthly income, etc...

    Run away, run away!!!!

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
    , May 7, 2007
  4. Ken Soon

    Xicheng Jia Guest

    On May 6, 8:49 pm, "Ken Soon" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
    > allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
    > then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
    > questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
    > age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
    > know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.
    >
    > I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
    > for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
    > Can anyone help please?
    >
    > Ken

    CGI is kind of old tech in the current web development. embedding your
    Perl code directly into the HTML might make your life much easier. one
    of such Perl modules is HTML::Mason, you can check its website and on-
    line free book.

    http://masonhq.com/
    http://www.masonbook.com/book/

    they have very good documentation and site source code..

    Good luck,
    Xicheng
    Xicheng Jia, May 7, 2007
  5. Ken Soon

    Guest

    , May 8, 2007
  6. Ken Soon

    Xicheng Jia Guest

    On May 8, 12:23 pm, Ignoramus17686 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
    17686.invalid> wrote:
    > On 7 May 2007 11:04:37 -0700, Xicheng Jia <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 6, 8:49 pm, "Ken Soon" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
    > >> allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
    > >> then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
    > >> questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
    > >> age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
    > >> know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.

    > >> I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
    > >> for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
    > >> Can anyone help please?

    > >> Ken

    > > CGI is kind of old tech in the current web development. embedding your
    > > Perl code directly into the HTML might make your life much easier. one
    > > of such Perl modules is HTML::Mason, you can check its website and on-
    > > line free book.

    > > http://masonhq.com/
    > > http://www.masonbook.com/book/

    > > they have very good documentation and site source code..

    > > Good luck,
    > > Xicheng

    > I used something similar (Embperl), it was a nightmare. Now my entire
    > pages are perl generated. Lets me separate page layout, placement of
    > ads etc, from actual content specific to page.

    The page layout things are pretty easy to maintain in HTML::Mason, you
    can make it very clean and consistant. If you want a new look for some
    sub-directories, just write a new autohandler file at that directory
    and set <%flag> element to (inherit => undef) or whatever inheritance
    relations. although you also need to make sure they are not making a
    (circular | unlimited) loop.

    And with HTML::Mason, you dont have to embed every bit of Perl code
    into (X?HTML) pages. For pure Perl code, I usually put them into
    outside module functions and then call them when necessary and I also
    divided components into seperated files(components) according to their
    functionalities and glue them by some simple Mason's syntax..

    While the best thing of Mason I feel is the inheritance mechnism by
    (autohandler|dhandler) which makes the maintanece of website much
    easier. other features like (handling different HTTP methods|
    interacting with database|et. al) are pretty easy with Mason. But
    these features might be more dependent on the mod_perl enviroment. if
    you are using it under CGI mode, you might get a completely different
    feeling with mine..Just my 2 cents.

    Regards,
    Xicheng
    Xicheng Jia, May 8, 2007
  7. Ken Soon

    Ken Soon Guest

    Ah cool thanks ppls!
    Been big help. I shall start with CGI first though. Seems easier to
    understand.
    Ken Soon, May 11, 2007