Website programming (search + statistics)

Ken Soon

Hi,

I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.

I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
Can anyone help please?

Ken

kwan

Hi,

I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.

I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
Can anyone help please?

Ken

google Perl cgi tutorial, you will get pretty of information

usenet

http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.55/DBI.pm

Plus, there is also some questions for the users to answer for
statistics purposes, such as age,monthly income, etc...

Run away, run away!!!!

Xicheng Jia

Hi,

I have a trying out a website to have this function. This function will
allow webusers to search for something in the database of my website and
then later display the related information. Plus, there is also some
questions for the users to answer for statistics purposes, such as
age,monthly income, etc... This is to enable me and probably the users to
know what kind of information is searched by what kind of people.

I have done quite some perl programming but I have not use perl programming
for database and webprogramming. How do I go about doing this?
Can anyone help please?

Ken

CGI is kind of old tech in the current web development. embedding your
Perl code directly into the HTML might make your life much easier. one
of such Perl modules is HTML::Mason, you can check its website and on-
line free book.

http://masonhq.com/
http://www.masonbook.com/book/

they have very good documentation and site source code..

Good luck,
Xicheng

Xicheng Jia

I used something similar (Embperl), it was a nightmare. Now my entire
pages are perl generated. Lets me separate page layout, placement of
ads etc, from actual content specific to page.

The page layout things are pretty easy to maintain in HTML::Mason, you
can make it very clean and consistant. If you want a new look for some
sub-directories, just write a new autohandler file at that directory
and set <%flag> element to (inherit => undef) or whatever inheritance
relations. although you also need to make sure they are not making a
(circular | unlimited) loop.

And with HTML::Mason, you dont have to embed every bit of Perl code
into (X?HTML) pages. For pure Perl code, I usually put them into
outside module functions and then call them when necessary and I also
divided components into seperated files(components) according to their
functionalities and glue them by some simple Mason's syntax..

While the best thing of Mason I feel is the inheritance mechnism by
(autohandler|dhandler) which makes the maintanece of website much
easier. other features like (handling different HTTP methods|
interacting with database|et. al) are pretty easy with Mason. But
these features might be more dependent on the mod_perl enviroment. if
you are using it under CGI mode, you might get a completely different
feeling with mine..Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Xicheng

Ken Soon

Ah cool thanks ppls!
Been big help. I shall start with CGI first though. Seems easier to
understand.