Website Redesign: Third Column being dropped

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot what I
    may have done wrong?

    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

    Was originally done using tabular layout but I have never found the
    time to redo the site properly except now during the christmas
    break (the site hasn't had a real update in around 6 months
    anyway).

    Old Layout: http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

    New Layout: http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winres/
    New Stylesheet:
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/style/testresource_ver2.css

    This is still a work-in-progress but all the major browsers:
    Firebird 0.7, Opera 7.23, IE6 and screen captures of Konqueror and
    Safari 1.1 show that the third column is being dropped.

    (I have shown a red outline around the relevant divs in order to
    show that there is sufficient margin).

    Obviously, I missed something in my stylesheet but I am unable to
    spot it. I have validated both the HTML and CSS and there appears
    not be nothing wrong but I know I must have done something wrong if
    all my test browsers report the same error.

    Would someone mind pointing out what I may have done wrong? What I
    am trying to achieve is to have the three columns with red outlines
    floated together (I hope I have explained it right?)

    PS: I know the design is currently ugly, my focus is getting the
    three main columns together using Float.

    PPS: Most of the Navigation Links will not work unless it leads to
    an external site - this is by design.

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Dec 27, 2003

  2. kayodeok

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:

    > Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot what I
    > may have done wrong?
    >
    > http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

    You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer settings
    stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it keeps going to Tiles or
    Thumbnails.

    --
    Duende
    The best defense against logic is ignorance.
    Duende, Dec 27, 2003

  3. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Duende <> wrote in

    > While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:
    >
    >> Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot
    >> what I may have done wrong?
    >>
    >> http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk
    >>

    > You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
    > settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
    > keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

    Would you mind explaining what you mean? There shouldn't be anything
    on my old site that affects your browser operation.

    The old site isn't the one I want checked; the site I want checked is

    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winres/
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/style/testresource_ver2.css

    I am redesigning the old website and I am having problems with the
    third float dropping.

    If I wasn't clear in my original post, then I apologise.

    kayodeok, Dec 27, 2003
  4. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Duende <> wrote in

    > You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
    > settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
    > keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

    I think I get you now...but it is off topic for this group:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows explorer setting tiles view list group:*windowsxp*

    Specifically:
    Windows changing View setting on its own?
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#RydHRR1BHA.2596@tkmsftngp03

    :)

    kayodeok, Dec 27, 2003
  5. kayodeok

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende <> wrote in
    >
    >> You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
    >> settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
    >> keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

    > I think I get you now...but it is off topic for this group:

    Yup, you got me. ;) I think bitching about Windows is on topic in any
    group. :eek:)

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows explorer setting tiles view
    > list+group%3A*windowsxp*
    >
    > Specifically:
    > Windows changing View setting on its own?
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#RydHRR1BHA.2596@tkmsftngp0
    > 3
    >
    >:)

    Thanks for the links. Maybe I can get this dumb computer so it doesn't
    keep pissing me off.

    Now about the problem with Word..........

    Duende, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Duende wrote:
    > I think bitching about Windows is on topic in any group. :eek:)

    Only in alt.switch-to.linux.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 27, 2003
  7. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok <> wrote in

    > Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot
    > what I may have done wrong?

    I managed to solve this one myself:

    I got the order of the divs wrong in my markup; it should have
    been:

    But I ordered the divs as:

    I had to strip all my markup and content to the bare minimum to see
    my error:

    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winres/index_20031229.html

    (the red highlighting is for debugging only)

    Thanks to everyone who took a look at the original layout; I shall
    be removing it from the site in due course.

    kayodeok, Dec 28, 2003