    DEFAULTAPPPOOL (default)
    MSSHAREPOINTAPPPOOL

    What does this developer mean? Thanx.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005

  2. To create an Application using a Virtual Directory
    as its starting point, open the IIS Manager, scroll
    down to the virtual directory, select it, and rght-click it.

    From the pop-up menu, select "Properties".

    Then, click on the "Create" button.
    That will make your virtual directory an Application.

    If you do that, your error message should disappear.
    Please let us know how you do.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 22, 2005

  3. No, it does not, the page error is this:

    "Server Error in '/' Application.

    Configuration Error

    in IIS.

    Source Error:

    Line 48: Using Form authentication and the users=? means to deny anonymous
    users
    Line 49: -->
    Line 50: <authentication mode="Forms">
    Line 51: <forms name="TecTrackAuth" loginUrl="default.htm"
    protection="All" path="/" />
    Line 52: </authentication>
    "

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005
  4. The standard format is :

    <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="MyLoginForm.aspx" />

    ..HTM files are not processed by ASP.NET

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 22, 2005
  5. this page 'default.htm' is where the prevoius developer created a frames
    page. One of the frames is the .aspx page that control login.

    <frameset framespacing="0" border="1" rows="135,*,35" frameborder="0">
    <frame name="header" scrolling="no" noresize target="header"
    src="main\frame_top.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    <frameset framespacing="0" border="1" cols="200,*" frameborder="0">
    <frame name="main_nav" scrolling="no" target="main_nav"
    src="main\frame_nav.aspx" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    <frame name="main_body" scrolling="yes" target="main_body"
    src="main\frame_home.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    </frameset>
    <frame name="footer" scrolling="no" noresize target="footer"
    src="main\frame_bottom.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

    Any ideas? Thanx for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005
  6. I'm not sure if this is the issue; they're running this app on a Window 2K
    box and I'mnot sure but the VS.NET project file has reference to Framework
    1.0, see below:

    <Reference Name = "System.Web.Services"
    AssemblyName = "System.Web.Services"
    HintPath =
    "..\..\..\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\System.Web.Services.dll" />

    My Win2003 server only has accepted to run v1.1, is that the issue? If so,
    do I need to install v1.0? I moved the folder over to my server for the
    framework.

    Thanx.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Hmmm...that is a problem.

    If you take a look at
    drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\machine.config

    you'll see that the references to v1.1.4322's
    System.Web.Services are completely different.

    I'm not even sure that you can *run*
    ..Net Framework v1.0.3705 in W2K3.

    Windows Server 2003 is the first OS which runs
    the .Net Framework 1.1.4322 "out of the box".

    It doesn't even come with the
    ..Net Framework v1.0.3705 installed.

    You could try to register the .Net Framework v1.0.3705,
    if you copied the whole directory structure from the W2K box,
    by running aspnet_regiis -i from the
    drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\ directory but,
    quite frankly, this might screw up your system.

    It's bound to be quite a complicated, and risky, task
    to run a deprecated version of the .Net Framework
    in an OS which doesn't even come with it, but comes
    with a later version.

    About the best thing I'd recommend is that VS.NET 2003
    be installed in the *original* W2K box, and then that the
    application be recompiled and debugged for the .Net 1.1 Framework.

    Then, you could copy the *Application*
    to your W2K3 box and run it under .Net 1.1.

    best regards,

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 22, 2005
  8. Thanx for all your help, you should know right.
    I went ahead and downloaded the Framework 1.0 redistributable (and SP3) and
    installed it on my Win 2003 server. But I'm not sure if I was supposed to do
    that becuase I don't see it in IIS? The area for Application Pools doesn't
    even see it, and if I try to add it by locating the asp.net file in the 1.0
    directory it makes it available but it doesn't know for what????
    How do others run websites on Win2003 with older Framework code? Are they
    all required to stay on Win2K?
    I thought that developers were still using 1.0 and 1.1 together on their
    development projects (thought I saw an article on the need to develop in
    both, switching back and forth).
    And the developer states, not sure if true or not, that he runs this on his
    Win2003 Server. How? He's been less than helpful to me, the old story of
    seeing another developer as a threat.

    Another question, if I look at the VS.NET project file I see that all the
    ref's are to 1.0, is there an easier way to determine what framework an app
    was written under, maybe in VS.NET???

    Thanx!!!!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Also, looked at my Win2003 server in the directory you list below /CONFIG/
    and I found:

    in v1.0....
    Version=1.0.3300.0

    in v1.1...
    Version=1.0.5000.0

    Is this right, I assume 1.0.5 is 1.1???? Where do you find the reference to
    1.1 as the framework?

    thanx.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 22, 2005
  10. Version 1.1 should be 1.1.4322, not 1.0.5000.0

    If you right-click aspnet_isapi.dll in the
    drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    directory and select "properties", and then select
    the "Version" tab, doesn't it have the version number
    "1.1.4322.2032" ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005
  11. I right click on that file and I do get: 1.1.4322.2032.

    In the file you listed before:
    drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\machine.config
    on my win2003 server:
    <section name="webServices"
    type="System.Web.Services.Configuration.WebServicesConfigurationSectionHandler,
    System.Web.Services, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

    On local development box (VS.net on win2k):
    I get the same.

    I do have, on my 2003 server, a v1.0.3705 framework build now that I
    installed 1.0. This is where I tried to create a new pooling choice using
    it's 'aspnet_isapi.dll' file.

    what about my other question? Any of this make sense? I use updater service
    on both the server and workstation to keep updated.

    thanx.

    I get:

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 23, 2005
  12. If you've gotten that far, maybe you can get
    v1.0.3705 to work by running aspnet_regiis -i
    from the v1.0.3705 directory.

    Then, you could switch the application's version,
    so it runs under v1.0.3705, by running Denis Bauer's
    "ASP.NET Version Switcher" to change the .net
    version the Application will runs as.

    http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

    When you run the "ASP.NET Version Switcher"
    check the .net version your Application is running as.

    If it's listed as running under v1.1, change it to v1.0.
    ( *after* you run aspnet_regiis -i ).

    To do that, select ASP.NET version 1.0,
    and click the "Switch .Net Framework Version" button.

    I don't guarantee you results,
    but if it works you owe me a virtual beer !

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005
  13. thanx, I saw his application but before I do that, can anyone at MS answer
    what do other developers do about Win2003 and Framework 1.0, I can't be the
    only person who has experinced this? What is the official MS word on the use
    of 1.0 and win2003?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 23, 2005
  14. If you were able to install v1.0
    ( as apparently you've been able to)
    running it should be no problem.

    There's lot's of documentation stating tha
    side-by-side running of v1.0 and v1.1 is OK.

    When you *add* v1.1 to a v1.0 installation
    it certainly runs OK.

    I just didn't know whether running v1.0 in
    W2K3 ( which runs 1.1 natively ) is OK.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005
  15. don't take this the wrong way but I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about
    this. You thought before that they shouldn't work together, I did get them
    installed together but can't get IIS to see the v1.0 structure. Then there is
    a chance to use Denis Bauer's app to switch them, but we're not really sure
    if running on win2003 is sucj a good and stable thing. I can't get the
    application I started out with to work on my win2003 server, and I'm not
    feeling to sure of MS's position. I'd love to know:

    1.) Is it MS's position to leave 2003 at 1.1 and not to use 1.0?
    2.) Is win2K used for 1.0 only?
    3.) Is there a MS article on using multple frameworks on a win2003 server,
    not win2000?
    4.) Would it be better, theorically, to just update this asp.net v1.0 app to
    1.1? And what does that entail?
    5.) Is there a simply way to determine if an asp.net app is v1.0 or 1.1?
    Check the VS.NET project file for referance paths? Anything with VS.net, or a
    file?

    Please don't take offense, I appreciate your help but need to know, thanx.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 23, 2005
  16. I don't know what I was thinking, becuase I read that v1.1 is backward
    compatible to v1.0, so I don't need 1.0 on my Win2003 server. If I move to
    2.0 then it will have to updated on the server. The assumption is that the
    highest revision of the framework is always backward compatible correct?

    thanx.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 23, 2005
  17. re:
    > I don't need 1.0 on my Win2003 server.
    > The assumption is that the highest revision of
    > the framework is always backward compatible correct?

    No.

    Your 1.0 application may call assemblies which don't exist any more,
    or whose functions have been changed in later versions.

    That's why .Net versions run "side-by-side",
    instead of the latest version just replacing the "old" version.

    You need the *particular* version of .Net for which the application
    was compiled for to be installed, and enabled, in order to be assured
    of being able to run a .Net application compiled for a previous
    version of the .Net Framework you've got installed.

    Also, the assembly versioning in machine.config is different
    for different versions of the .Net framework.

    For example, see the differences between v1.1 and v2.0 :

    1.1 :
    <section name="webServices" type="System.Web.Services.Configuration.WebServicesConfigurationSectionHandler, System.Web.Services, Version=1.0.5000.0,

    2.0 :
    <section name="webServices" type="System.Web.Services.Configuration.WebServicesConfigurationSectionHandler, System.Web.Services, Version=2.0.3600.0,

    Notice the difference between the Version numbers.
    It's a different one for .Net 1.0, too.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005
  18. re:
    > don't take this the wrong way

    I'm not.

    re:
    >You thought before that they shouldn't work together

    They don't. See below.

    re:
    > I did get them installed together but can't
    > get IIS to see the v1.0 structure.

    I warned you about potential problems, didn't I ?

    re:
    > Please don't take offense,

    I haven't taken offense.

    re:
    > I appreciate your help but need to know, thanx.

    You should know, now.

    re:
    > 1.) Is it MS's position to leave 2003 at 1.1 and not to use 1.0?

    See below.

    re:
    > 2.) Is win2K used for 1.0 only?

    No. You can install any version of the .Net Framework on W2K.

    re:
    > 3.) Is there a MS article on using multple frameworks
    > on a win2003 server, not win2000?

    The closest I could find is :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830714

    "On a Windows Server 2003 system, you must use .NET Framework 1.1."

    re:
    > 4.) Would it be better, theorically, to just update this
    > asp.net v1.0 app to 1.1? And what does that entail?

    I already told you that was what you needed to do and how to do that.

    >> About the best thing I'd recommend is that VS.NET 2003
    >> be installed in the *original* W2K box, and then that the
    >> application be recompiled and debugged for the .Net 1.1 Framework.
    >>
    >> Then, you could copy the *Application*
    >> to your W2K3 box and run it under .Net 1.1.

    Good luck!

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005
  19. Last set of questions I promise:

    If I bring in the project into my VS.NET 2003 copy and recompile, will that
    automaticaly copy the versions in 1.0 that are in 1.1 to 1.1?
    So in theory I should be able to look at the project file and see them using
    the 1.1 directory and not the 1.0 like I do now. And is there also the
    assumption that if the project using 1.0 specific class, etc then they won't
    be upgraded and I can see that in the project file as well.
    Or do you have to "remove" each reference" then add it back thus ensuring it
    to be 1.1? I.e. system.web, etc. I've looked at the project file after
    re-compiling in VS2003 and they still point to 1.0.
    I've used the article to response.write the version of the framework that is
    running on the machine and I've confirmed 1.1.

    Thanx for all your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 23, 2005
  20. I was quite intrigued by this question, and did additional research
    which implies that under some conditions the .Net Framework
    1.0 can be successfully installed in Windows Server 2003, and
    Applications compiled and deployed for the .Net Framework 1.0
    can run when deployed to a W2K3 Server.

    No guarantees are given, though.

    First and foremost, the .Net Framework 1.0 must have been
    successfully installed ( by installing the .Net Framework redistributable
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-A83F-4E21-B05A-009D06457787&displaylang=en
    or installing a product which has it, like VS.NET 2002.

    That download link installs .Net Framework version 1.0a.

    Be aware that there's Service Packs which need to be applied,
    and which I was not able to find at the Microsoft download center.

    After the .Net Framework 1.0a has been successfully installed,
    the following support pages are required reading :

    Versioning, Compatibility, and Side-by-Side
    Execution in the .NET Framework :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/versioncomparison/default.aspx

    Side-by-Side Execution of the .NET Framework
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/sidexsidenet.asp

    Configuring IIS 6.0 to Use the Correct
    Version of the .NET Framework
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...2003/all/deployguide/en-us/iisdg_upg_yybr.asp
    This one is particularly important, as it states that
    "Running versions 1.0 and 1.1 of the .NET Framework
    side-by-side is only supported when IIS is configured
    to run in IIS 5.0 isolation mode." , which could cause
    serious inconveniences, like less reliability.

    You would also have to create a separate application
    pool which your 1.0 apps would use to run under.

    ASP.NET supports only one version of the
    ..NET Framework for each application pool.

    A slightly more detailed version of that page is at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...2003/all/deployguide/en-us/iisdg_upg_nvpu.asp

    Finally, a check should be made for possible incompatibilities
    and breaking changes between the different .Net Framework
    versions :

    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/Backwards1.0to1.1/default.aspx

    Mind you, under no circumstances interpret these pointers
    as a *recommendation* that the installation of the .Net
    Framework 1.0 on a W2K3 Server should be performed.

    If you decide to install, configure and try to use the .Net
    Framework 1.0 under W2K3 to run a .Net Framework
    1.0 application, you are bound to run into many snags.

    What I think is the best way to handle this, is to use a
    development box which has both the .Net framework 1.0
    and 1.1 installed, and which has VS.NET 2003 installed,
    to recompile/debug/migrate the application to the
    ..NET Framework 1.1.

    Then, that application will be assured of running well
    under .Net Framework 1.1 and W23K Server.

    Good luck with your choice.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2005