Website Test

dorayme

From: dorayme said:
Boy or boy did I tremble for you when I saw your invitation...
There is something wrong with me I think, I feel like a ring
attendant at a Roman gladiator contest (where the lions are
about to be let in...).

Seems my fears for you, little lamikin, were unfounded...
replies to you have been good and decent and I have shed tears
here at the goodness of it all... (pardon me... maybe the pack
have found a juicier thing to circle and are distracted at the
moment? As I swim in the ocean a lot, I always take a guilty
comfort from seeing others around, especially further out...)

I notice your site still has all the things I imagined as
faults...

Barbara de Zoete

Do you have any advice about the tables,

javascript

Javascript is okay to use, as are java applets, Flash and the likes. What they
have in common is, that they run client side, either by client side scripting of
because of a plug-in the client needs to have installed and running.
Just realize that anything that gets computed client side (that includes your
code for markup and any stylesheets too) can fail. So, don't rely on it. If you
create a menu with javascript of an applet or Flash, be sure it is at least also
available in plain html. Better work the other way around: first create pages
that could work in any situation in any given browser, than spice them up with
client side scripts, or stuff that needs plug-ins.
and how to make it all work and viewable to most?

<url:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fluid+OR+liquid+design>
The background is tiled a pale blue I don't understand how you see a bright
sickly horrid purple,

Your pale blue must be an image? I don't run images. They are hardly ever
content (just eye candy) and one can do without (saving bandwidth). The 'bright
sickly horrid purple' :) is the background _colour_ I set in my browser
viewport, so I don't miss mistakes with background colours I could make for my
own pages.
Sometimes it shows up with the pages of someone else. That only happens if you
didn't set a background _colour_ for your pages. Colour being something else
than image.
any ideas how I can get browsers like your to view
correctly?

I hope you can distill them from the above reply. :)

Borrox

Barbara de Zoete said:
[...]

Hi Barbara
Thanks for the very informative reply and suggestions. It seems I have made
countless newbie errors. I wanted criticism of the site good, bad and was
even expecting to be flamed (in general that is), but every reply was of
help (bar one ot two that did nothing really).
I will be bookmarking those sites and read through them.
I will be re-working the site as a whole and make a number of very big
changes (for the better I hope) and leave the original until I am finished
as in many cases especially the images are on the same bachground , so to
change to a solid background colour at this instant would be bad.
Many thanks for your help.
Nig

Borrox

dorayme said:
Seems my fears for you, little lamikin, were unfounded...
replies to you have been good and decent and I have shed tears
here at the goodness of it all... (pardon me... maybe the pack
have found a juicier thing to circle and are distracted at the
moment? As I swim in the ocean a lot, I always take a guilty
comfort from seeing others around, especially further out...)

I notice your site still has all the things I imagined as
faults...
Hi Dorayme
As I have mentiond to Barbara de Zoete I will be making massive changes
based on and around everyone's comments. I was extremely suprised and
impressed with the replies I have received, and all of helpful advise.
The site will remain online until I have completely re-worked the site,
1. Change background colour from a tile to a solid colour
2. Remove the Validation icon in bottom left.
3. Remove the tables. (That seems daunting but such is life)
4. The 'small' text near the top I will either remove or enlarge.
5. The whole site I will compress for speedier loading and lower bandwidth.
6. How do I make the site logo load first?
As I said to Barbara de Zoete I am a newbie to websites. I created one about
4 years ago and taught myself HTML (very basic) and sinvce then I have done
nothing until I got Dreamweaver and I thought all my prayers had been
asnwered and that it would do it all for me and as many have pointed out I
need to have some understanding of HTML to properly understand DW.
Anyway, thanks to you and everyone else for the constructive help and advice
(and brilliant links) I ought now produce a 'good' website.
Many thanks
Nig

Barbara de Zoete

It seems I have made countless newbie errors.

Oh, no. You're doing good. I started out working with FrontPage, proudly
presenting the results to the world, not knowing what html was :)
I will be re-working the site as a whole and make a number of very big
changes (for the better I hope) and leave the original until I am finished
as in many cases especially the images are on the same bachground , so to
change to a solid background colour at this instant would be bad.

Remember that you can have both: if one has images enabled in a graphical
browser, s/he will see your background image and all the other images. If
however one has images not enabled, s/he gets a solid backgound color. If the
web author sets the background colour, that is the colour one gets to see. If
not, the default colour for the browser viewport shows.
So it is not or or. You can have both.

Borrox

Barbara de Zoete said:
Oh, no. You're doing good. I started out working with FrontPage, proudly
presenting the results to the world, not knowing what html was :)

Remember that you can have both: if one has images enabled in a graphical
browser, s/he will see your background image and all the other images. If
however one has images not enabled, s/he gets a solid backgound color. If
the web author sets the background colour, that is the colour one gets to
see. If not, the default colour for the browser viewport shows.
So it is not or or. You can have both.
Spot the newbie!!!! (Klaxon sounds!)
I did not know that. As I mentioned to Dorayme I did do a basic site about
4-5 years ago with just HTML, I sat down got a load of books, copied some
code from some sites played with it, added my own picks played some more and
eventually I slowly understood a few things. That was before I found DW and
I thought whay! all the worry about code and stuff, no more! Again spot the
newbie to web site design.
Thank you Barbara
Nig