website that simulates browsers?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Woolly Mittens, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Woolly Mittens, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Woolly Mittens

    Guest

    Hello,

    experience told me, not to rely on one browser for testing,
    but it is also a mess, to install x browsers just for this
    purpose. It would be cool to have a browser output generator
    on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
    displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...

    Is there something similar like this already?

    Regards,
    Steffen
    , Oct 25, 2003

  3. steffen.mazanek wrote:
    > It would be cool to have a browser output generator
    > on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
    > displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...

    There are one or two such services but all are unreliable.

    Delorie's LynxView is pretty accurate, as it does actually send the
    web page through Lynx, grab the output, do a little processing and then
    serve it up.

    But in general, you will either have to rely on having the browsers
    themselves or paying/begging someone who does.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    playing://jewel/spirit/13b_little_bird.ogg
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 25, 2003
  4. "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > steffen.mazanek wrote:
    > Delorie's LynxView is pretty accurate, as it does actually send the
    > web page through Lynx, grab the output, do a little processing and then
    > serve it up.

    Can't you just spare the 750KB, to install Lynx?
    Woolly Mittens, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Woolly Mittens

    Guest

    Thank you all for the information. I have lynx already
    installed, but I expect most users to have gui browsers.
    I have checked my site against lynx, but especially
    css effects (position fixed or the like) would be
    interesting as well.

    Ciao,
    Steffen
    , Oct 25, 2003
  6. Woolly Mittens wrote:

    > Can't you just spare the 750KB, to install Lynx?

    Lynx is one of the three text browsers I have installed.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 25, 2003
  7. wrote:

    > Thank you all for the information. I have lynx already
    > installed, but I expect most users to have gui browsers.

    Why author a site for "most users" when you need very little extra work to
    cater for "all users"?

    Do you think GoogleBot sees the site as a user of a graphical user would?

    > I have checked my site against lynx, but especially
    > css effects (position fixed or the like) would be
    > interesting as well.

    Lynx ignores CSS (at the moment), but as CSS is designed to provide a
    webpage with an _optional_ presentation later, this shouldn't be a problem.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 25, 2003
  8. Woolly Mittens

    bengee Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > experience told me, not to rely on one browser for testing,
    > but it is also a mess, to install x browsers just for this
    > purpose. It would be cool to have a browser output generator
    > on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
    > displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...
    >
    > Is there something similar like this already?

    But if you were to use something like that, then you still wouldn't be
    testing on the actual browser... just someone elses interpretation of
    how that browser should be displaying?

    bengee
    bengee, Oct 26, 2003