website that simulates browsers?

steffen.mazanek

Hello,

experience told me, not to rely on one browser for testing,
but it is also a mess, to install x browsers just for this
purpose. It would be cool to have a browser output generator
on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...

Is there something similar like this already?

Regards,
Steffen

Toby A Inkster

steffen.mazanek said:
It would be cool to have a browser output generator
on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...

There are one or two such services but all are unreliable.

Delorie's LynxView is pretty accurate, as it does actually send the
web page through Lynx, grab the output, do a little processing and then
serve it up.

But in general, you will either have to rely on having the browsers
themselves or paying/begging someone who does.

Woolly Mittens

Toby A Inkster said:
steffen.mazanek wrote:
Delorie's LynxView is pretty accurate, as it does actually send the
web page through Lynx, grab the output, do a little processing and then
serve it up.

Can't you just spare the 750KB, to install Lynx?

steffen.mazanek

Thank you all for the information. I have lynx already
installed, but I expect most users to have gui browsers.
I have checked my site against lynx, but especially
css effects (position fixed or the like) would be
interesting as well.

Ciao,
Steffen

David Dorward

Thank you all for the information. I have lynx already
installed, but I expect most users to have gui browsers.

Why author a site for "most users" when you need very little extra work to
cater for "all users"?

Do you think GoogleBot sees the site as a user of a graphical user would?
I have checked my site against lynx, but especially
css effects (position fixed or the like) would be
interesting as well.

Lynx ignores CSS (at the moment), but as CSS is designed to provide a
webpage with an _optional_ presentation later, this shouldn't be a problem.

bengee

Hello,

experience told me, not to rely on one browser for testing,
but it is also a mess, to install x browsers just for this
purpose. It would be cool to have a browser output generator
on the web, where you put in your url in a form and it
displays images how this site looks in opera, ie, firebird...

Is there something similar like this already?

But if you were to use something like that, then you still wouldn't be
testing on the actual browser... just someone elses interpretation of
how that browser should be displaying?

bengee