WebStart API Examples?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. The WebStart user experience is still a mystery to most
    developers. When discussing WebStart launch, I often hear
    comments that indicate the developer has never *seen* a
    WebStarted program launched onto screen.

    While I have links to a few examples that demonstrate
    interesting aspects of webstarted applications*, I would like
    to see a bunch of sandboxed demos. of aspects of the JNLP
    API** itself.

    Sun has this rather teasing page titled 'JNLP API Examples' at..
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/examples.html>
    ...but none of them link to a 'see it on-screen!' JNLP.

    Is there some page at Sun's site of the JNLP API
    (launchable) examples, that I missed?

    It seems hard to believe that Sun has missed this
    opportunity to demonstrate one of it's 'flagship'
    products to the developers who (largely) will either
    choose or reject the development of projects using it.

    * Examples of Webstart
    - applet/application, to see the difference
    - 'all-permissions' application's signed with a
    'self signed certificate' (interesting for the warnings)
    - applications that use a library defined
    in another JNLP on a distant site (JOGL).
    - applications that suggest a desktop shortcut
    and/or menu items.
    - apps. that use splash images..

    ** <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/jnlp/index.html>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Is there some page at Sun's site of the JNLP API
    > (launchable) examples, that I missed?

    Perhaps I was 'looking' in the wrong place..
    <http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Sun+Microsystems&as_filetype=jnlp&as_sitesearch=java.sun.com>
    ...supposedly shows all JNLP launch files at sun, though many
    of them fail becasue they specify 1.6 (which I don't have) and do
    not point to an auto-installer (I guess there is no auto-installer
    available at the time these were made..)

    This limits the search to JNLP launch files that do *not* mention 1.6
    <http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Sun+Microsystems&as_eq=1.6&as_filetype=jnlp&as_sitesearch=java.sun.com>
    for a total of 7 - only one of which demonstrates webstart API's -
    'notepad app' loads/saves files from within a sandboxed WebStart
    app, with the user's prompting.

    That is pretty pathetic, if it represents all the examples they offer.

    And to the person who posted me an email containing my
    own text of the original message. Two points..
    - please respond to the group, not me personally
    - adding some words of your own, might be a bonus.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > The WebStart user experience is still a mystery to most
    > developers. When discussing WebStart launch, I often hear
    > comments that indicate the developer has never *seen* a
    > WebStarted program launched onto screen.
    >
    > While I have links to a few examples that demonstrate
    > interesting aspects of webstarted applications*, I would like
    > to see a bunch of sandboxed demos. of aspects of the JNLP
    > API** itself.
    >
    > Sun has this rather teasing page titled 'JNLP API Examples' at..
    > <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/examples.html>
    > ..but none of them link to a 'see it on-screen!' JNLP.
    >
    > Is there some page at Sun's site of the JNLP API
    > (launchable) examples, that I missed?

    http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/demos.html

    A Sun developer likes to provide demos of his hack via webstart in his
    blog http://www.jroller.com/page/gfx You have to dig out the interesting
    stuff from all the blog postings.

    Usually, the examples in the GUI tutorial
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/TOC.html can all be
    started via WebStart. This is still the case, but Sun has already
    updated all the GUI tutorial examples to 1.6.

    By the way, if a GUI / installer developer claims to have never seen a
    WebStart program it might indicate that he hasn't been bothered to look
    at the GUI tutorial at least once.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ: