WebStart caching test.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. (quoting myself from an earlier thread*)

    <http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>

    > The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
    > (sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
    > quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
    > media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
    > downloaded and cached (and displayed).

    The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
    dialog, for the lazy downloads.

    This is now version 6, and I am still getting
    odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
    local file-system, but fails when coming off the
    net (see the link for details).

    Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
    for net, works off file system)?

    * Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID

    with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
    because the last post on that thread was
    last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
    'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 24, 2007

  2. Andrew Thompson

    John T Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > (quoting myself from an earlier thread*)
    >

    >>WebStart caching test - a test of the 'lazy' download
    >>attribute (good for getting applications on-screen fast,
    >>amongst other things).

    > <http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>
    >
    >>The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
    >>(sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
    >>quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
    >>media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
    >>downloaded and cached (and displayed).

    > The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
    > dialog, for the lazy downloads.
    >
    > This is now version 6, and I am still getting
    > odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
    > local file-system, but fails when coming off the
    > net (see the link for details).
    >
    > Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
    > for net, works off file system)?
    >

    > * Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID
    >
    > with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
    > because the last post on that thread was
    > last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
    > 'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Hi Andrew, I clicked on your link and went to the jnlp link. The dl
    progress bar worked but when the pictures displayed in the frame, the
    dialogue was still on my screen.

    John T, Feb 25, 2007

  3. On Feb 25, 12:28 pm, John T <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > >..It seems to work just fine off the
    > > local file-system, but fails when coming off the
    > > net (see the link for details).

    > > Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
    > > for net, works off file system)?

    > Hi Andrew, I clicked on your link and went to the jnlp link. The dl
    > progress bar worked but when the pictures displayed in the frame, the
    > dialogue was still on my screen.

    Thanks for the result.

    Did that happen even for the first picture?
    My experience was the *first* download
    1) showed a progress dialog (PD)
    2) the dialog showed progress
    3) when the resource arrived, the dialog vanished

    It was the 'second and every other' call
    that failed for me. For this it was
    1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
    2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
    3) did not disappear after the picture
    arrived (though it could be closed by
    user).

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  4. Andrew Thompson

    John T Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Thanks for the result.
    >
    > Did that happen even for the first picture?
    > My experience was the *first* download
    > 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)
    > 2) the dialog showed progress
    > 3) when the resource arrived, the dialog vanished
    >
    > It was the 'second and every other' call
    > that failed for me. For this it was
    > 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
    > 2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
    > 3) did not disappear after the picture
    > arrived (though it could be closed by
    > user).
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Yes, that was what happened to me.

    John T, Feb 25, 2007
  5. On Feb 25, 1:22 pm, John T <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > > Did that happen even for the first picture?
    > > My experience was the *first* download
    > > 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)

    > > It was the 'second and every other' call
    > > that failed for me. For this it was
    > > 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'

    > Yes, that was what happened to me.

    Thanks for clarifying. :-(

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  6. Andrew Thompson

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> My experience was the *first* download
    >>> 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)

    >>> It was the 'second and every other' call
    >>> that failed for me. For this it was
    >>> 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'

    No anomalies for me.

    That Kev is talented.

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 25, 2007
  7. Andrew Thompson

    John T Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > No anomalies for me.
    >
    > That Kev is talented.
    >
    > - Lew

    I used Firefox. What did you use? Is there any difference in
    performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

    John T, Feb 25, 2007
  8. Andrew Thompson

    Lew Guest

    John T wrote:
    > I used Firefox. What did you use? Is there any difference in
    > performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

    I used Firefox under Fedora Core 6, running the Java under j5.

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 25, 2007
  9. On Feb 25, 1:50 pm, Lew <> wrote:

    > No anomalies for me.

    Thanks.. What OS/Java are you running?

    > That Kev is talented.

    Would you believe that
    a) He claims to have lost his ability to
    focus.
    b) That was simply a doodle intended to
    show his daughter some techniques for
    color mixing. He never expected it to
    be publicly seen.

    (Some of the works he did in his younger
    days were *awesome*, but unfortunately I
    have only been able to get poor quality
    reproductions of them)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  10. On Feb 25, 2:44 pm, Lew <> wrote:

    > Lew wrote:
    > >> No anomalies for me.

    > John T wrote:
    > > I used Firefox. What did you use?

    I do not believe the browser should be relevant.
    (Though - famous last words, a recent problem
    with a memory leak in a JWS app. was revealed
    to be related to the browser* that launched it,
    combined with Java Control Panel settings that
    advised 'use browser as proxy' or something
    like that)

    * OK - the 'OS component' (IE).

    >...Is there any difference in
    > performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

    > > Is there any difference in
    > > performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

    > I used Firefox under Fedora Core 6, running the Java under j5.

    FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
    is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.

    So far we have two failures for Windows,
    using both FF and IE, and one success using
    FF in Linux.

    I am beginning to see a pattern, which suggests
    the Windows Java Plug-In is the problem.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  11. Andrew Thompson

    Dag Sunde Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > (quoting myself from an earlier thread*)
    >
    >> WebStart caching test - a test of the 'lazy' download
    >> attribute (good for getting applications on-screen fast,
    >> amongst other things).

    > <http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>
    >
    >> The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
    >> (sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
    >> quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
    >> media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
    >> downloaded and cached (and displayed).

    > The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
    > dialog, for the lazy downloads.
    >
    > This is now version 6, and I am still getting
    > odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
    > local file-system, but fails when coming off the
    > net (see the link for details).
    >
    > Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
    > for net, works off file system)?
    >

    > * Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID
    >
    > with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
    > because the last post on that thread was
    > last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
    > 'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').

    Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2

    Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
    i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.
    Second time around, cache obviously worked; No progress dialog,
    and the picures appeared instantaneously.

    Third time I opened it from IE6, and it behaved like the second time.
    (Already in cache).

    Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Feb 25, 2007
  12. Andrew Thompson

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > It was the 'second and every other' call
    > that failed for me. For this it was
    > 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
    > 2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
    > 3) did not disappear after the picture
    > arrived (though it could be closed by
    > user).

    That's what I see too. WinXP, 1.6 JRE, FireFox 1.5.

    Revisiting the JNLP works OK, though -- the cache is used without any drama.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 25, 2007
  13. Andrew Thompson

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
    > is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.
    >
    > So far we have two failures for Windows,
    > using both FF and IE, and one success using
    > FF in Linux.
    >
    > I am beginning to see a pattern, which suggests
    > the Windows Java Plug-In is the problem.

    I didn't use the plug-in.

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 25, 2007
  14. On Feb 25, 9:13 pm, "Dag Sunde" <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >
    > >> WebStart caching test -

    > Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
    >
    > Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
    > i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.

    > Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

    Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
    the first *success* off a Win based system,
    What Java version are you running?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  15. On Feb 26, 1:40 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > It was the 'second and every other' call
    > > that failed for me.

    > That's what I see too. WinXP, 1.6 JRE, FireFox 1.5.

    Thanks chris. That's 3 out of 4 failures
    (all worked OK for Dag) for Win. based
    machines so far.

    > Revisiting the JNLP works OK, though -- the cache is used without any drama.

    (phew) ..at least part of it seems to
    work reliably!

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  16. On Feb 26, 2:37 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
    > > is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.

    > I didn't use the plug-in.

    Is this a naming problem? I have gotten to
    referring to any old Java on a computer as a
    'Java Plug-In'. Perhaps I should just revert
    to saying 'Java'.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  17. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > ..
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
    >>
    >> Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
    >> i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.

    > ..
    >> Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

    > Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
    > the first *success* off a Win based system,
    > What Java version are you running?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    I didn't realize success was so unusual. WinXP SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.10.

    The only anomaly was some hesitation and rewinding of the progress bar
    during download of the third image, but that may be due to using an
    802.11 wireless link.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Feb 25, 2007
  18. On Feb 26, 5:15 am, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:

    > I didn't realize success was so unusual.

    I have had good results from most of the
    web start API examples, from the first test.
    I have had success with lazy downloads
    *without* a progress dialog (which makes
    for a horrid user experience). It is just
    this example of both using lazy downloads
    combined with a progress dialog, that is
    causing a problem.

    Note that if these resources are marked
    'eager', it is very easy for the developer,
    and the end user gets a (working) progress
    dialog as a matter of course.

    >..WinXP SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.10.
    >
    > The only anomaly was some hesitation and rewinding of the progress bar
    > during download of the third image, but that may be due to using an
    > 802.11 wireless link.

    OK. I am counting that as a second success
    for Java on Win., I also have observed (a
    form of) the 'rewinding' effect you mention.

    The progress dialog bar did not actually go
    backwards, but it sometimes pauses for 'a few
    moments' and the time changes to a message
    along the lines of 'download stalled', also
    sometimes as the seconds are counting down,
    they will 'jump back up' (19 sec., 18 sec.
    .... 23 sec. 22 sec.).

    I am guessing the 'download stalled' message
    appears if the stream delivers 0 bytes for a
    few seconds, and the second is the result of
    the stream byte rate dropping.

    I need to summarise these results in a
    table, I can see no clear pattern now,
    with the few Win. successes thrown into
    the mix.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 25, 2007
  19. Andrew Thompson

    Dag Sunde Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > ..
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
    >>
    >> Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
    >> i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.
    >> .. Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

    > Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
    > the first *success* off a Win based system,
    > What Java version are you running?

    From plugin console:
    <quote>
    Java Plug-in 1.5.0_10
    Using JRE version 1.5.0_10 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings
    </quote>

    Dag Sunde, Feb 25, 2007
  20. Andrew Thompson

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Is this a naming problem? I have gotten to
    > referring to any old Java on a computer as a
    > 'Java Plug-In'. Perhaps I should just revert
    > to saying 'Java'.

    I suppose so. Sun says "Java Plug-in" to refer to the component that runs
    applets in browsers. I use a download association that tells Firefox to
    forward .jnlp files to an instance of a v5 WebStart. This is the same type of
    association that tells Firefox to forward .pdf files to a PDF viewer.

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 25, 2007