WebStart caching test.

Andrew Thompson

I suppose so. Sun says "Java Plug-in" to refer to the component that runs
applets in browsers.

Yeah (groans) with the way Sun changes their
minds about nomenclature from release to release,
I have come to view their terms as malleable,
and probably am using them quite randomly now.
I use a download association that tells Firefox to
forward .jnlp files to an instance of a v5 WebStart. This is the same type of
association that tells Firefox to forward .pdf files to a PDF viewer.

Thanks for clarifying.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_10
Using JRE version 1.5.0_10 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Interesting. As I was preparing the table of
results, I noted the two failures* were using
Java 1.6, and the ones that worked*, were
using 1.5.

* Some results are still from machines with
unknown Java version.

I will set up alternate versions of the launch
file, that lock the test in to either 1.5, or 1.6.

Andrew T.

Patricia Shanahan

Andrew Thompson wrote:
* Some results are still from machines with
unknown Java version.

My "worked" result was with build 1.5.0_10-b03

Patricia

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
Interesting. As I was preparing the table of
results, I noted the two failures* were using
Java 1.6, and the ones that worked*, were
using 1.5.

That seems to be it.

Using original JNLP URL:
http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/6/jwscache.jnlp

Then
<path to jre1.5>\javaws <url>

works fine. But:
<path to jre1.6>\javaws <url>

shows the same misbehaviour.

Unfortunately, opening:
http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/6/jwscache5.jnlp
from my browser still doesn't work properly. First it prompts me to check that
it's OK to use an older JRE -- I said OK (I wouldn't normally). But the
problem still persists. I think it's a problem in javaws.exe itself since the
problem doesn't go away even though it is (one hopes) loading the JVM from the
1.5 installation. A bit of experimentation suggests that the 1.6 javaws.exe
uses deploy.jar from the 1.6 jre, even if the JNLP file asks for a 1.5 JVM.

Incidentally, javaws also uses the 1.6 cache directory even when running a 1.5
jre. If you execute:
<path to jre1.5>\javaws -viewer

then you can see that there's nothing in the 1.5 cache. But running the
<path to jre1.6>\javaws -viewer

shows the cached application.

-- chris

P.S. Just got a midly amusing message from 1.5 javaws:

Warning:

You have exceed the recommended amount of disk space for JNLP
Applications and Resources in your cache.

You are currently using 3959bytes
The recommended limit is: 167bytes

;-)

It seems that 1.5 and 1.6 store the cache settings in the same place, 1.5 must
disagree about the units. If 1.6 is configured for a maximum of 167 MB, then
1.5 interprets that as bytes. But if you set 1.5 to 1 MB, then 1.6 interprets
it as 1GB.

Another winner from Sun...

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 27, 2:30 am, "Chris Uppal" <[email protected]
THIS.org> wrote:

Re. examples in
Unfortunately, opening:
http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/6/jwscache5.jnlp
from my browser still doesn't work properly. First it prompts me to check that
it's OK to use an older JRE -- I said OK (I wouldn't normally). But the
problem still persists.

(JWS prompts for download of installed JRE)..

See if the instructions here, help get
that JRE version available*.
<http://www.physci.org/jws/version.html#enable>

* If you would be so kind [and with the
sheer hide to ask, some (checks watch) 17
days after this thread ground to a halt
due to my being busy on other matters].

Andrew T.

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
(JWS prompts for download of installed JRE)..

See if the instructions here, help get
that JRE version available*.
<http://www.physci.org/jws/version.html#enable>

I'm not sure what you want me to test ?

The explanations at your link (above) are good, but my webstart installation
was already configured to "activate" one installation each of 14.2, 1.5.0, and
1.6.0. So there's nothing (that I can see) that I should be changing or
fixing.

That part of it seems to work OK -- I get a prompt asking if I'll permit your
application to run on an earlier JVM than my current installation. But apart
from that (which I assume is the design behaviour) there don't seem to be any
problems relating to selecting a JVM. (It no longer tries to download and
install a 1.5 JVM, as it did in one of your earlier tests.) The only problem
is the inappropriate security dialog where a download progress dialog should
be.

I'm reasonably sure (not /dead/ certain) that following the:
http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/6/jwscache5.jnlp
link causes the browser/OS to invoke the 1.6 WebStart launcher, which reads the
JNLP file, and therefore loads the 1.5 JVM, but that it actually uses the
deploy.jar from the 1.6 implementation of WebStart. And that's why it shows
the same problem as would happen if the JNLP file didn't ask for a specific
JVM.

But if there's something else you'd like me to check, then I'll give it a
whirl...

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 16, 6:54 pm, "Chris Uppal" <[email protected]
THIS.org> wrote:
..So there's nothing (that I can see) that I should be changing or
fixing. ...
..(It no longer tries to download and
install a 1.5 JVM, as it did in one of your earlier tests.)

OK - thanks. That was the vague impression I
had got (perhaps left over from an even earlier
thread) so intended to throw together a page to
cover that aspect of getting earlier versions
before proceeding. (I have already linked to
it on the Sun forums as well, in reply to a
question.)

I will review your other replies, do some more
tests locally, and decide where to go from here.

Andrew T.