WebUIValidation.js Error - The normal stuff's not working

csumner

I'm getting that nasty little 'Unable to find script library' error
that seems to be plagueing a lot of people. I only get it when I
change my home directory in IIS from inetpub/wwwroot to one of my
client folders. I tried all of the following:

- copied the aspnet_client folder to my client's root folder.
- double checked folder names and version numbers
- set security access on the aspnet_client folder to be the same as in
inetpub
- checked iis security setting, it was same as for inetpub
- added the following line to my web.config file:

<webControls clientScriptsLocation="\\MyComputer\c$\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_4322\"
/>

- I tried the above line with local and relative paths ("c:\...",
"/aspnet_client/..."), as well as pointing to inetpub, the client's
folder, and even tried moving the .js file to the root folder just for
the hell of it. ('MyComputer' of course was replaced by the actual
computer name)

I'm kinda spent on this one. Anyone have any ideas? (I'm running
Personal Web Server as a test server on Windows 2000) Also, I was
trying to find the web server log files so i could check them, (I'm
not all too familiar with administration) where are those at?

Any help is appreciated,
CSumner

csumner

Holy crap - I finally figured it out. I post this in case anyone else
finds the information useful.

My problem was actually nothing to do with the WebUIValidation.js
file. It turns out that someone had written some javascript in a
header include file for the page I was using and had forgotten to
close the last html comment tag! You know how you're supposed to put
html comment tags around your javascript so old browsers don't display
it? well, remember to close them! It took me 3 days to figure out what
was going on: The link to the WebUI file that .net adds to the page
was being commented out by the html comment that was left open in the
previous script bracket, which was also hiding itself in an include
file.

sheesh!@
csumner