Webxception time-out

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by ike, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. ike

    ike Guest

    Hello,

    I have a webservice to let my users make backups on our servers.

    One of my users gets a WebException: The operation has timed out.
    I have been searching over the net for a solution, but haven't found any.

    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the webservice. Since the other
    users can still make backups.

    The problemuser can send over a backup (zip-file). I can see the file on our
    harddrive. But after the file is uploaded, we do a crc check to be sure the
    file is correctly uploaded. And this is where the timeout occurs.

    So I thought it was a fire-wall issue (Norton Internet Security is
    installed). But my program is in the exceptions and I have even tried
    disabling all fire-walls and the problem still remains.

    Also the user must recieve answers from the webservice as before you even
    can start a backup, checks are made if the user still has spave left and such.

    I don't know where to look for solutions.

    Maybe someone else has ideas?

    Best regards,
    Ike Casteleyn
    Compufit software
    ike, Dec 22, 2005

  2. ike

    Chris Arnold Guest

    Hi ike,

    The time-out exception can be occuring in one of two places - either the web
    service or the client. Both will have an execution time-out limit on them. I
    cannot remember what the default is for web services (set in machine.config)
    but I believe it is in the order of 90 seconds. Also, even if your client is
    communicating asynchronously with your service, it will still check its
    internal clock when it does eventually receive a reply from the service.

    Try adding, as an example, the following line to your Web.config &
    App.config files ...

    <httpRuntime executionTimeout="60000" /> (where 60000 etc. is
    measured in seconds.)

    I recommend googling for 'httpRuntime executionTimeout'.

    Hope this helps,

    Chris

    Chris Arnold, Jan 31, 2006