Weighing the evidence, Perl is a GUESSING game !!

robic0

I know there's some folks who hang their hat on Perl.
That notwithstanding, and without criticism to them,
given the extremely *poor* documentation of Perl and,
and. Have to stop the sentence because it worms to
infinity, not conducive to English.

I find it incredible to read some recent posts where
actual C pointers are somehow analogous to a Perl
construct. There is *nothing* available in Perl scripts
except pseudo C. There is *no* C, ie: addresses or
pointer arithmatic you can see, do, or say in Perl !!

The core of Perl is compiled. That is the end of contact
with Perl's core C code!! After that its an interfaced,
pseudo language thats provided to Perl programmers.

You have zero (0) control of the internals of Perl after that,
only to the extent of which is provided by such.
When you write Perl scripts, your so far away from C and the
operating system, you can't see!

After Perl is compiled there is not interaction with it, it
exists as a binary. There is no construct in Perl to alter
dynamic pointers in the C Perl core! Even if you wanted
to increment an address from a script, and it passed you the
(current) virtual memory location, the indirection would be
a killer! The time involved would be prohibitive. Perhaps
if there were pseudo C-like primitives in the native Perl
language, it would be feasable. It would involve multiple
indirection though. But what "++" construct from Perl?
How would that crash the machine, let me count the ways.
Boundries don't exists in the Perl population like it does
in C/C++. To let a Perl script control addressing would be
a nightmare!

Thats why they don't allow that shit!

If there's anybody who reads this who thinks otherwise
just post a follow. Otherwise *Perl* does not and will
never (because of the history off psudo languages) allow
access to and alteration of C core's.

I'm writing this because of the recent avalance of bullshit
on this subject by Abgail and Sunan and others on a single subject.

I'm ready to go to the mat on this one ...

-robic

Uri Guttman

"r" == robic0 <robic0> writes:

r> I'm ready to go to the mat on this one ...

i'd like to introduce you to moronzilla one day. the two of you would
make a very happy and loonie couple and you could go off inventing your
own languages.

uri

David H. Adler

r> I'm ready to go to the mat on this one ...

i'd like to introduce you to moronzilla one day. the two of you would
make a very happy and loonie couple and you could go off inventing your
own languages.

Please do not do that unless we can seal them off in their own pocket
dimension. KTHX.

dha

Uri Guttman

DHA> Please do not do that unless we can seal them off in their own pocket
DHA> dimension. KTHX.

i would expect their intro to create such a warped dimension and hence
writing their own lang.

it would be too funny to watch them 'communicate' all their perl
knowledge.

uri

usenet

robic0 said:
I know there's [sic] some folks who hang their hat on Perl.

Wow, I had no idea that Perl can also be used as a hatstand! It's
simply amazing what Perl can do!

David H. Adler

DHA> Please do not do that unless we can seal them off in their own pocket
DHA> dimension. KTHX.

i would expect their intro to create such a warped dimension and hence
writing their own lang.

I don't feel comfortable leaving such things to chance.
it would be too funny to watch them 'communicate' all their perl
knowledge.

Maybe for you. At this point, I've moved on to finding it tiresome. To
each their own. :)

dha

Lukas Mai

robic0 schrob:
[..]
I find it incredible to read some recent posts where
actual C pointers are somehow analogous to a Perl
construct. There is *nothing* available in Perl scripts
except pseudo C. There is *no* C, ie: addresses or
pointer arithmatic you can see, do, or say in Perl !!

perldoc -f pack
p A pointer to a null-terminated string.
P A pointer to a structure (fixed-length string).
The core of Perl is compiled. That is the end of contact
with Perl's core C code!! After that its an interfaced,
pseudo language thats provided to Perl programmers.

"Pseudo" has nothing to do with compilation.
You have zero (0) control of the internals of Perl after that,
only to the extent of which is provided by such.
When you write Perl scripts, your so far away from C and the
operating system, you can't see!

perldoc perlxs
perldoc Inline::C
perldoc -f syscall
After Perl is compiled there is not interaction with it, it
exists as a binary. There is no construct in Perl to alter
dynamic pointers in the C Perl core!

Yes, there is. You can implement peek and poke in pure Perl, at least on
Unix-like systems.
Even if you wanted
to increment an address from a script, and it passed you the
(current) virtual memory location, the indirection would be
a killer! The time involved would be prohibitive. Perhaps
if there were pseudo C-like primitives in the native Perl
language, it would be feasable. It would involve multiple
indirection though. But what "++" construct from Perl?
How would that crash the machine, let me count the ways.
Boundries don't exists in the Perl population like it does
in C/C++. To let a Perl script control addressing would be
a nightmare!

Thats why they don't allow that shit!

Bla, bla, bla.

$ perl -e '$# = "%n"; print 42'
Segmentation fault
If there's anybody who reads this who thinks otherwise
just post a follow. Otherwise *Perl* does not and will
never (because of the history off psudo languages) allow
access to and alteration of C core's.

"Pseudo" has nothing to do with C. C is not the reality. You can
implement C in Perl.
I'm writing this because of the recent avalance of bullshit
on this subject by Abgail and Sunan and others on a single subject.

I bet you couldn't even understand a single Abigail JAPH/obfu.
I'm ready to go to the mat on this one ...

-robic

You suck at spelling names.

HTH, Lukas

Matt Garrish

Uri Guttman said:
r> I'm ready to go to the mat on this one ...

i'd like to introduce you to moronzilla one day. the two of you would
make a very happy and loonie couple and you could go off inventing your
own languages.

At least Xah has a personal crusade against the unix f*ckheads who use Perl,
and is almost convincing in his blather (though in a warped and demented
kind of way). robic0's attempts to mimic him just fall flat in so many
ways...

Matt

usenet

Matt said:
Uri Guttman said:
i'd like to introduce you to moronzilla one day.

At least X[*]h has a personal crusade...

I believe Uri was referring to another troll who has posted irrational
rants (and dubious code) under various pseudonyms, including the name
of the cheesy movie monster usually associated with the "zilla" suffix
(and who has also often posted under a handle which was a misspelled
(s/e|i/u/g) concatenation of "Perl" and "Girl"). But we should never
type the name of a troll (including reverse qw{h a X}) in cleartext, as
it might awaken.

Some folks have opined that r_o_b_i_c_0 is yet another handle for
moronzilla, but the posting styles and viewpoints are sufficiently
different that I do not share that opinion.

Matt Garrish

Matt said:
Uri Guttman said:
i'd like to introduce you to moronzilla one day.

At least X[*]h has a personal crusade...

I believe Uri was referring to another troll who has posted irrational
rants (and dubious code) under various pseudonyms, including the name
of the cheesy movie monster usually associated with the "zilla" suffix
(and who has also often posted under a handle which was a misspelled
(s/e|i/u/g) concatenation of "Perl" and "Girl"). But we should never
type the name of a troll (including reverse qw{h a X}) in cleartext, as
it might awaken.

Some folks have opined that r_o_b_i_c_0 is yet another handle for
moronzilla, but the posting styles and viewpoints are sufficiently
different that I do not share that opinion.

I'm well aware of her... : )

I didn't mean to imply that Xah was the person in question, but instead
point out that this post of rob's was nothing more than another of his lame
attempts to mimic Xah.

And he doesn't use "you boys" or any of her small stock of phrases which
rules her out (it's just too difficult to hide one's voice for any sustained
period of time, especially when one is certifiable!).

Matt

Tad McClellan

Some folks have opined that r_o_b_i_c_0 is yet another handle for
moronzilla, but the posting styles and viewpoints are sufficiently
different that I do not share that opinion.

The one-of-uncommon-gender is not a bigot, and doesn't trail
off into meaningless obscenities when it can't find something
to say, so I share _your_ opinion.

Josef Moellers

Some folks have opined that r_o_b_i_c_0 is yet another handle for
moronzilla, but the posting styles and viewpoints are sufficiently
different that I do not share that opinion.

He reminds me of a certain Scott Nudds who terrorized comp.lang.asm.x86
until it got moderated.
I must admit that I, too, fed that troll, as he was very clever in
baiting me (and others).
r*0 is not as acid and baiting as S.N., though.

robic0

At least Xah has a personal crusade against the unix f*ckheads who use Perl,
and is almost convincing in his blather (though in a warped and demented
kind of way).

I was brought in as a consultant to Xah's team, team FukUrHeadUp

robic0

He reminds me of a certain Scott Nudds who terrorized comp.lang.asm.x86
until it got moderated.
I must admit that I, too, fed that troll, as he was very clever in
baiting me (and others).
r*0 is not as acid and baiting as S.N., though.

Thats Mr. Robic0 to you ...

Jürgen Exner

robic0 said:
You don't had a case.
^^^^^^^^^

Ok, fair enough, it's not spelling, it's grammar.
"u" is not a word!

Interesting question. Does a letter become a word when it is used as a word?

Anyway, if a sentence is composed of words and u is not a word, then
- the u had no business being there
- some word is still missing in that sentence

On the other hand, if some word is missing in a sentence, is it still a
sentence or just a sequence of random words?

I think the answer is 42.

jue