weird asp page behavour with option expicit

s_m_b

Anyone ever seen this before?
A page that generates a calendar view, works just fine without 'option
explicit' .
Add this in, but have missed some dim statements out in error, so page
should error .
Instead of error, the un-dim-ed variables are ignored and their portions of
the code simply are not used - behavour as though entire loops etc are
commented out.
As soon as I add their dim statements, the code executes fine.

Is there a setting that could cause this, that I have un-knowingly switched
on?
(w2k/IIS5/ASP/VBscript)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

s_m_b said:
Anyone ever seen this before?
A page that generates a calendar view, works just fine without 'option
explicit' .
Add this in, but have missed some dim statements out in error, so page
should error .
Instead of error, the un-dim-ed variables are ignored and their
portions of the code simply are not used - behavour as though entire
loops etc are commented out.
As soon as I add their dim statements, the code executes fine.

Is there a setting that could cause this, that I have un-knowingly
switched on?
(w2k/IIS5/ASP/VBscript)

How can we tell?
Maybe you have on error resume next in your code somewhere ...

s_m_b

How can we tell?
Maybe you have on error resume next in your code somewhere ...

well, that's why I'm asking!

NO, no 'on error'. When I put one in, I always catch it so as to know
where the error is.
If I put in a deliberate code error, its picked up.
The behaviour is as though 'on error' is running on every possible line
of code, with no instruction other than to resume.

Patrice

So try some bare bone code to try to reproduce the problem (such as 1 loop
with a defined variable and 1 loop with an undefined variable).
It could be interesting to see if another compilation error than an
undefined variable shows the same behavior...

- If yes you have really something very strange going on (looks like
compilattion errors are "turned off" don't remember but I believe ASP calls
a page to display these, if this page is not found it could perhaps fails
silently ???)
- If not you likely have some other condition in your own production code
that you don't find for now