weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internet explorer

Discussion in 'HTML' started by omeldoid@gmail.com, May 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    it's really frustrating. the following code works in firefox, but in ie
    (version 6.something) moving over a link hides some of the content on
    the page. one of the solutions is to remove a style declaration for the
    link! can somebody help me, please, i fail to see the error, if it's on
    my side. or is it yet another of those nasty bugs?
    thanks,
    andrej

    the code:

    <head>
    a:hover { border-bottom: solid red 1px }
    #placeholder { width: 715px; }
    #textl, #textm, #textr { width: 200px; }
    #textl { float: left; }
    #textr { float: right; }
    #box { border: solid red 2px }
    </head>
    some text from below gets hidden.</p>
    1) if this div is deleted, it starts working<br>
    2) if the style declaration for a:hover is deleted,
    it starts working<br>
    3) if the text at right is the longest, it also
    works
    LEFT<p>
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
[...]
    MIDDLE<p>
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
    asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
    fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
    RIGHT<p>
    foo foo foo foo fo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo
    foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo
    , May 15, 2006

    btw, #textm should also have float: right. but it's not decisive.
    , May 15, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > it's really frustrating. the following code works in firefox, but in ie...

    Here, let me cut and paste you code inton a text document and upload it
    to my web server so I can see what you are talking about.

    Wait a second, since YOU are searching for an answer, how about YOU put
    the code on a server and just include the URL to the code?
    Travis Newbury, May 15, 2006

    i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
    as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
    of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
    commonplace; you just check it locally.
    , May 15, 2006
  5. ironcorona Guest

    Re: weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internetexplorer

    wrote:
    > is there no notion
    > of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
    > commonplace; you just check it locally.

    Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
    your local disk.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)
    ironcorona, May 15, 2006
  6. JDS Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:05:09 -0700, omeldoid wrote:

    > i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
    > as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
    > of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
    > commonplace; you just check it locally.

    You are missing the point: Why should we bother copy and pasting the code
    to a local file and then looking at the file in a browser locally when YOU
    could save us the steps by posting the file and telling us the URL.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, May 15, 2006
  7. Andy Dingley Guest

    ironcorona wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > is there no notion
    > > of `localhost' and a local http server in windows?

    > Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
    > your local disk.

    That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web server
    by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe Apache)

    For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT the
    same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you often
    see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft design work,
    but don't go bug-hunting this way.

    is getting ignored because he expects those who
    might otherwise help him, to do simple work that he's not prepared to
    do himself (placing it on a web server). It shouldn't be any surprise
    that the useful people are also busy people.

    (I have 3 minutes 11 seconds to ponder this post before my Ant script
    finishes and I have to get back to work).
    Andy Dingley, May 15, 2006
  8. ironcorona Guest

    Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > ironcorona wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> is there no notion
    >>> of `localhost' and a local http server in windows?

    >> Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
    >> your local disk.

    > That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web server
    > by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe Apache)
    > For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT the
    > same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you often
    > see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft design work,
    > but don't go bug-hunting this way.

    Ah yes, of course. There's no dispute there. But for many things that
    can go wrong IMHO you don't need to have the page on a server.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)
    ironcorona, May 15, 2006
  9. Re: weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internetexplorer

    On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andy Dingley <> wrote:

    > That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web
    > server by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe
    > Apache)

    For those who develop on Windows, but host the results on an Apache
    server (which *is* the most usual production web server, after all),
    then I'd certainly recommend them installing Win32 Apache2 and using
    it to mimic their part of the production web site as closely as
    possible[1]

    > For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT
    > the same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you
    > often see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft
    > design work, but don't go bug-hunting this way.

    Fully agree with that.

    > is getting ignored because he expects those who
    > might otherwise help him, to do simple work that he's not prepared
    > to do himself (placing it on a web server).

    Definitely safest to host the test pages on a publicly accessible web
    server *and* verify that the problem is still present, before
    launching a question here, indeed. Nicest of course if the questioner
    can boil the problem down into an uncluttered test case.

    I lost count of the number of incidents of copy/paste errors in usenet
    postings - which have either introduced some new problem that wasn't
    the one they were looking for, or (as in that recent incident on the
    uk web group) completely omitted the cause of the problem that they
    *were* looking for. Complete waste of everybody's time - not only
    their own.

    cheers

    [1] Yes, Virginia, it *is* possible to create a file called .htaccess
    in Windows, even if some Windows applications try to convince you
    otherwise! But it's necessary to take care over possible upper/lower
    case incompatibilities between windows and production OSes.

    --

    Debugging package - may contain traces
    Alan J. Flavell, May 15, 2006
  10. Jim Moe Guest

    wrote:
    > i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
    > as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
    > of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
    > commonplace; you just check it locally.

    The reason for an URL to a test case is that pasted code usually has
    errors or omissions in it that hide the advertised problem. The result is
    a series of "What the f--k?" messages that waste everyone's time.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, May 15, 2006
  11. Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:53:39 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
    <> wrote:

    >For those who develop on Windows, but host the results on an Apache
    >server (which *is* the most usual production web server, after all),
    >then I'd certainly recommend them installing Win32 Apache2

    I'll consider that option shortly after someone gives me a good reason
    not to have an old dog of a PC running Debian under the desk.
    Andy Dingley, May 15, 2006
  12. Re: weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internetexplorer

    On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:53:39 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >For those who develop on Windows, but host the results on an Apache
    > >server (which *is* the most usual production web server, after
    > >all), then I'd certainly recommend them installing Win32 Apache2

    > I'll consider that option shortly after someone gives me a good
    > reason not to have an old dog of a PC running Debian under the desk.

    Yeah, or run both in parallel in virtual machines. But I was offering
    my best advice to those who, for whatever reason of their own and
    whatever you or I might say, have decided to develop on the MSWin
    platform.

    p.s the old linux system under the desk isn't a great deal of help
    when one's whiling away^W^W productively applying the time on a laptop
    during one's travels.

    OT:

    Speaking of laptops: when I've been at conferences recently, it's been
    interesting to have a little watch at what other folks are doing on
    their laptops during the conference. There seem to be three main
    camps:

    1. watching the conference's streaming media on the web (kind-of
    strange to sit in a conference session, and then watch the streaming
    media that were intended for those who couldn't get there in person).

    2. windows users: processing their email via their VPN

    3. linux users: building kernels

    ttfn
    Alan J. Flavell, May 15, 2006