Weird Crash on LDAP Search

Thorsten Haude

--bAmEntskrkuBymla

I tried to read some values from an LDAP server last week when I made
a tiny error of pretty great consequences. So please don't excecute
the following code of you value your uptime:

- - - Schnipp - - -
@theServer =3D 'some.server'
@theBaseDN =3D 'ou=3Dexample, dc=3Dexample, dc=3Dcom'

begin # exception block for LDAP::Conn.open()
@connection =3D LDAP::Conn.open(@theServer)
@logger.debug("Connected to LDAP server #{@theServer}")

@connection.search(@theBaseDN, 1, '(objectclass=3D*)') { |entry|
print "#{entry.get_dn}\n"
entry.attr.each { |attribute|
print "\t#{attribute}\n"
rescue LDAP::Error =3D> error
@logger.error("#{@myName}: #{error.class} while connected to #{@theServ=
er}: #{error}")
end
- - - Schnapp - - -

It took me some time to find the error, esp. since my box became
unusable a few seconds after starting the program, apparantly because
the program alloced huge amounts of memory.

Now what I don't get is the reason why it runs at all. If you are
quick, you can interrupt the program to get an error message saying
something similar to "LDAP::Entry does not have a method named attr".

Indeed, the method is called 'attrs'. So why is this run at all? Why
the huge memory demand?

What we could think of is that the each block tries to write out each
complete object accessible to attr, but even that does not explain the
memory consumption.

(Sorry if some parts are a bit vague, but I'm reluctant to start this
again to get details.)

Thorsten
--=20
Das Briefgeheimnis sowie das Post- und Fernmeldegeheimnis sind unverletzlic=
h.
- Grundgesetz, Artikel 10, Abs. 1=20

--bAmEntskrkuBymla

--bAmEntskrkuBymla--