Weird interaction between Net::FTP and DBI / DBD::Oracle

Peter Mutsaers

Using perl 5.8.0 and latest versions of libnet and DBI:

The script did

- open DBI to oracle
- start queries and write in 2 files
- close files
- close DB
- open FTP (Net::FTP->new)

result: the open FTP fails immediately with a connection timeout, even
though the timeout is 120s (I also tried some other explicit settings
and traced into IO::Socket).

When I reverse the 2 last steps, i.e. I close the DB handle after the
Net::Ftp->new, there is no problem.

Note: the FTP->new fails only when the server takes more than about 1
second to respond. For fast local servers the problem did not occur at
all.

Someone has an idea how this can be? Could the closing of the
DBD::Oracle handle throw some signal (this is on Solaris btw) after 1
second which confuses IO::Socket?

Thanks,

Peter Mutsaers

Ron Reidy

The database things do not have anything to do with this (my bet,
anyway). To make sure, have you tried tracing the db handle to see what
is happening?

Maybe you could post some code here?

James Willmore

On 5 Sep 2003 08:08:56 -0700
[...]

2 suggestions:
1) use the DBI 'trace' method
2) use the Net::FTP 'Debug' feature

This may shed some more light on the issue you're having. It will
give a better view of what the client/server conversations are.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
You think Oedipus had a problem -- Adam was Eve's mother.