    Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

    Cheers,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Aug 2, 2008

  2. RichardOnRails

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Aug 2, 7:54 am, RichardOnRails
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
    > over WinXP-Pro/SP2.  I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
    > Window's PATH.  All worked well for a good while.
    >
    > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
    > regexps.  I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
    > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin.  When
    > the ruby.exe command didn't work,  a search of the 1.9 installed
    > revealed the absence of that file.
    >
    > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > more of my stupid mistakes?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

    Hello Richard,

    You extracted the source package of Ruby 1.9 and not a Windows binary.

    As part of the One-Click Installer team i didn0t pursue a release of
    1.9 for Windows since:

    # 1.9 is developer oriented and not end user, the availability of the
    package will make a lot of user try to upgrade and break their setups.

    # 1.9 introduce changes that require a deeper analysis of the gems and
    extensions bundled with One-Click installer which will require a lot
    of time, besides depending on external development teams to provide
    the updated versions (which most of them are under development).

    I think those two points are good ones, but feel free to disagree with
    me.

    If you're really interested in 1.9 binaries, you can grab the windows
    barebone version from garbagecollect:

    http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

    Look into the development snapshots in the sidebar.

    Also you will find a good reading over there.

    On a side note, is not a good practice just extract on top of
    something that was working, you could break it :p

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Aug 2, 2008

  3. On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
    > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
    > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.
    >
    > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
    > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
    > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
    > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
    > revealed the absence of that file.
    >
    > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > more of my stupid mistakes?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Richard

    A post recently (7/28) went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
    1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..

    I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
    But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
    Now it is the first link at the top.

    Harry

    --
    A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
    http://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html
    Harry Kakueki, Aug 2, 2008
  4. Hi Luis,

    Thanks a lot for your very insightful reply.

    > > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > > more of my stupid mistakes?

    > You extracted the source package of Ruby 1.9 and not a Windows binary.

    Wow, it was stupid of me not to recognize that :-(

    > As part of the One-Click Installer team i didn0t pursue a release of
    > 1.9 for Windows since [snip]
    > but feel free to disagree with me.

    Disagreeing with you would compound my stupidit :)

    > http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
    > Look into the development snapshots in the sidebar.

    Thanks, I'll check it out!

    > On a side note, is not a good practice just extract on top of
    > something that was working, you could break it :p

    At least I didn't make that mistake; I only need to restore 1.8.6's
    bin path to Window's PATH.

    Again, thank you for the education.

    Best wishes,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Aug 2, 2008
  5. On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
    > > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
    > > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

    > > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
    > > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
    > > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
    > > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
    > > revealed the absence of that file.

    > > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > > more of my stupid mistakes?

    > > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Richard

    > A post recently (7/28) went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
    > 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
    >
    > I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
    > But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
    > Now it is the first link at the top.
    >
    > Harry
    >
    > --
    > A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

    Hi Harry,

    > A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English ...

    Thanks for that link, both for the .msi and the site itself: The
    combination of English and Japanese is beautifully presented.
    (However, I never got beyond "Shogun" in my Japanese education.)

    The .msi is exactly what I need. Since the site also provides the MD5
    code for the package, I thought it's about time for my to start
    checking the download.

    If you have the time, could you take a look at my code below which
    probably erroneously claims the package doesn't match the MD5 string?

    Best wishes,
    Richard

    # ValidateMD5.rb
    # K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Techniques\MD5Validataion

    require "md5"

    file = DATA.gets.chomp
    md5_tgt = DATA.gets.chomp
    md5_result = MD5.new(file).hexdigest
    OK = (md5_result == md5_tgt)
    puts "File " + (OK ? "Valid" : "Invalid")

    __END__
    K:\_Downloads\Ruby\Ruby-1.9.0.msi
    9cc8e8a4802f840b192e63f9ee17ab49
    RichardOnRails, Aug 2, 2008
  6. On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
    > > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
    > > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

    > > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
    > > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
    > > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
    > > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
    > > revealed the absence of that file.

    > > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > > more of my stupid mistakes?

    > > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Richard

    > A post recently (7/28) went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
    > 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
    >
    > I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
    > But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
    > Now it is the first link at the top.
    >
    > Harry
    >
    > --
    > A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

    Hi again, Harry,

    Please ignore my MD5 question. I just realized I compared against
    merely the file NAME, not its content.

    I'll probably be OK from here on.

    Again, Thanks,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Aug 2, 2008
  7. On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
    > > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
    > > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

    > > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
    > > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
    > > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
    > > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
    > > revealed the absence of that file.

    > > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
    > > more of my stupid mistakes?

    > > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Richard

    > A post recently (7/28) went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
    > 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
    >
    > I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
    > But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
    > Now it is the first link at the top.
    >
    > Harry
    >
    > --
    > A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

    OK, Harry,

    Just to prove I did it, below is my snippet the validated the .msi.
    I know it's no big deal to you, but it's one more small step in the
    long path to Ruby/Rails mastery.

    I bookmarked your website so I'm sure I'll find other pearls there
    from time to time.

    Again, thanks and best wishes,
    Richard

    # ValidateMD5.rb
    # K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Techniques\MD5Validataion

    require "md5"

    filename = DATA.gets.chomp
    md5_tgt = DATA.gets.chomp
    filesize = DATA.gets.chomp.gsub(/,/, "").to_i
    content = File.new(filename,"rb").read
    puts filesize
    puts content.size
    md5_result = MD5.new(content).hexdigest
    OK = (md5_result == md5_tgt)
    puts "File " + (OK ? "Valid" : "Invalid")

    __END__
    K:\_Downloads\Ruby\Ruby-1.9.0.msi
    9cc8e8a4802f840b192e63f9ee17ab49
    14,262,272