Weird link question (two different hosts) for guestbook

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ©®, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. ©®

    ©® Guest

    My friend has free space on two hosts. One bit of hosting space ( site
    1 - no MySQL database access) comes with his broadband connection and
    they only allow him to FTP with his home connection. So, I am not able
    to upload changes to his site unless I am using his wireless connection
    at his house. No good if travelling etc. He also has his site (2) as
    backup on a place that gives free space (but no MySQL etc.) but can FTP
    to it from anywhere. I am hosting his guestbook (MySQL database and php
    file) on my space. If anyone clicks on a guestbook link from his page,
    it goes to a page on my site (while looking like his site design) so
    people can access the gb.
    The problem is this: Because it is free hosting (site 2), he's at the
    bottom of the totem-pole for service/uptime etc., and sometimes has
    problems and he can't make changes because they have stopped access
    temporarily.
    If his domain name is pointing to site 2 and it is down (and he makes
    changes to point it to site 1), is there an automated way (script etc.)
    that the gb page could "detect" that the domain name is now pointing to
    site 1 instead of site 2 instead of having to constantly switch the
    links in the pages? The reason I ask is because I might not be able to
    make changes and if he just switches the domain forwarding, it would be
    great if the guestbook could always work whether it is coming from site
    1 or site 2.
    I hope this makes sense and somone can assist.
    Thanks very much.

    ©®, Nov 3, 2006

  2. ©® wrote:
    > My friend has free space on two hosts. One bit of hosting space ( site
    > 1 - no MySQL database access) comes with his broadband connection and
    > they only allow him to FTP with his home connection. So, I am not able

    <snip free hosting situation>

    Best advice for your friend, pay a little be and get some real hosting
    with the features and uptime he needs. There is a lot of choices out
    here that is really very affordable especial if all you need is a a
    simple MySql db and reasonable server space and bandwidth. Many
    'personal' packages $3-5/mo! The "free" ones are add supported and with
    all the pop-up ads are not recommended.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 3, 2006

  3. ©®

    ©® Guest

    > Best advice for your friend, pay a little be and get some real hosting
    > with the features and uptime he needs.

    Yeah - I'd agree with you on that - just that $ is tight for them right
    now! That is why we were looking for other options.
    Thanks for the comments.

    ©®, Nov 3, 2006