weird perl cgi problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Darrian, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Darrian

    Darrian Guest

    Hi,
    Got this really weird CGI problem. I use CGI module to output feedback
    to the user after the user submits the form. This cgi script runs an
    executable on the server side and will output the result after running
    the executable. It actually outputs some message saying "please wait a
    moment..." and then invokes the executable (it takes some time for the
    exe to finish. normally 2-3 minutes) So during the period of time
    user's browser is still waiting for the result. The problem I got is
    5% of the time user browser does not get the result output and just
    keeps waiting (connecting logo is active on IE6.0)although I am pretty
    sure the output has been sent back (I know this because after the
    output is printed out the final thing the CGI script does is cleaning
    up temp files it creates. In the case when user does not get the
    result output on server side those temp files have all been cleaned up
    which means the "print ..." above cleaning up code should have been
    executed.)
    This is driving me nuts coz it does not happen all the time. Just 5%
    of the time and I have no idea what's wrong. I wonder if somebody can
    give me some help here.

    Thanks.
    Darrian, Aug 6, 2003

  2. "Darrian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Got this really weird CGI problem. I use CGI module to output feedback
    > to the user after the user submits the form. This cgi script runs an
    > executable on the server side and will output the result after running
    > the executable.

    Thank you for your Perl question The answer can be found in the following
    state transition diagram http://www.teivovo.com/jokes/jokes029.html

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Aug 6, 2003