Weird problem Asp.net, certain users, code behind

Don Munroe

This one has me stumped. I have three web applications running on two
different servers. The first that works fine is hosted by a .Net hosting
company. Everyone that uses it has no problems hitting the site. The other
two applications are running on my personal server which has Windows 2003,
IIS 6, and .Net 1.1

Most of my users can use the sites. Two have come up with a very strange
problem. They try to go to either application and the browser seems to get
hung up. With one of the users I did several tests including turning on
tracing but nothing worked. The trace indicated that everything was
rendered correctly.

I then created a test application in which I threw two labels on a web form.
He could see the test form fine. Then I added one line on c# code, in the
page load event, that changed the text of one of the labels and he started
getting the same problems as the two other applications. If I take the line
of code out and recompile, he can again see the web form fine. He can see
the webform if there is no code in code behind, but adding one line of code
and there browser acts like it trying to download the page. The progress
bar shows on the bottom and the status say opening
www.address.com/default.aspx. The progress bar gets to about half way
across and then doesn't go any further. No error message or anything else.
I even had them look at the source at this point, but the source is from the
referring page.

My question is, is there something in IIS that somehow is being affected by
some internet option they may have set on there machines that could be
causing this. Like I said it's only two out of maybe thirty users that are
having this problem. Everyone else can see and use the applications as they
were intended.

Any help would be a tremendous help. Thank you.

Kevin Spencer

More likely, it's their browser. What browser(s) are they using?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Don Munroe

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800

Kevin Spencer said:
More likely, it's their browser. What browser(s) are they using?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
.Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

Kevin Spencer

Well, that eliminates the browser, unless it's a caching issue on the client
side. Have you tried refreshing the page when the odd data comes up?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Don Munroe

I eliminated all caching on the server side and removed all client side
internet files and cahing.

Kevin Spencer

Don, I hate to tell you this, but I'm out of ideas, unless you want to
publicize the URL of the offending page.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Don Munroe

Ok. The "working" site is at www.intldocuments.com. This site is hosted by a
..net hosting company. The other site that is having the problems is at
www.cdhdemos.com When you go here, you will see three links. This is just an
html page and both users can see it fine. The first two links are the
offending applications. The third is the test I talked about. There are only
two labels, but the code behind changes the text of the second label.

Don Munroe

That's the problem. It works for some many people, it's hard to track down
when it only one or two and there is no error returned.

Alvin Bruney said:
works fine for me

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Don Munroe said:
Ok. The "working" site is at www.intldocuments.com. This site is hosted by
.net hosting company. The other site that is having the problems is at
www.cdhdemos.com When you go here, you will see three links. This is just
an
html page and both users can see it fine. The first two links are the
offending applications. The third is the test I talked about. There are
only
two labels, but the code behind changes the text of the second label.

running
on and
he fine.
He

Kevin Spencer

Hi Don,

I took a look at your site on 3 different machines, and 3 different
browsers:

1. Windows Server 2003/IE 6: None of the links would show up.
2. Windows XP Pro./IE 6: None of the links would show up
3. Windows XP Pro/Netscape 7: First 2 links would not show up. 3rd link did.
4. Mac/IE 6: None of the links would show up.
5. Mac/Safari: First 2 links would not show up. 3rd link did.

All of the links did not include a file name, only a directory name. On the
Mac, in IE, the status bar indicated that the first 2 links were redirecting
to "Login.aspx" - so your problem most likely lies in that page. As for the
3rd link, which apparently led to a page with 2 labels on it, it didn't seem
to redirect. Interestingly, it would not show up in IE 6 on any machine. I
have to wonder what the code is on that page. It seems like something is
browser-aware on the server side, and sending something IE6 can't parse, or
reacting to the browser in such a way that it doesn't send a response.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Don Munroe

I changed the html page to redirect to a specific page. That shouldn't
matter because I have iis set up to know what the default page is for each
site. It's interesting that you can't see the sites either. I downloaded
Netscape 7.1 because that was going to be my suggestion to my two users. I
had no problem getting to the applications with Netscape either. There are
some formatting issues, but other than that everything worked fine. I'm now
more convinced than ever that it's a setting that is conflicting. Something
my users have set is not working with something I have set in IIS 6. I
guess the question becomes what is set in Netscape that would also be set in
IE that could cause this problem.