Weird problem with an ASP.NET application and Session Variables that mess up

M. Simioni

Hi, the webserver is a

HP ProLiant DL380 G3
1GB RAM
Dual U320 SCSI
COMPAQ Smart Array 5i + Battery Pack installed
N°2 (RAID 1) COMPAQ BD072863B2 - 72.8GB Ultra320, 10K Hot-pluggable, 1"
Windows 2000 Server SP4 + all patches downloaded by Windows Update
SQL Server 2000 + SP3a

I have a weird problem with an ASP.NET application.
The database that the application uses is 1GB+ large, and the query that the
application runs are nearly heavy.
I have done the SQL Profiling for 24hours (done in a typical working day)
and I used the Indexes Tuning.
What happens is that when the number of users reach about 25/30 people (i
know, it's so a little number of users) it seems that the session's
variables mess up: a user see the result of a query regarding another users,
he sees labels that should not see, and other funny mistakes.
If i restart the computer, or if i simply stop the aspnet_wp.exe process,
all return to work correctly.

When we had only 5/10 people that used the website, no problem was found.

I hadn't write the code by myself, i know it could be a little heavy, but i
can ask something to the developer if you want.

Any idea?

Thank you for the aid,
Marco

Bruce Barker

its probably a bug in the code. the most common cause of this problem is
storing session data in a static or vb module (whose public varaiables are
actually static). when is is done, and two users access the website at the
same time, they see each others data.

-- bruce (sqlwork..com)

Kristofer Gafvert [MVP]

I agree with Bruce, i also think that there is a bug in the code.

If i were to debug this, i would start to look at the code that is storing
and accessing data that is mixed up between the users.

Really difficult to point at something specific.