Weird RequiredFieldValidator problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nick Goloborodko, May 28, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I've been having a really weird problem with required field validator.
    Here's the detailed description of the problem:

    I have originally been developing my web application on Windows XP SP2
    under IIS5 with .NET framework V1.1.4322. I have had a couple of
    RequiredFieldValidator, to ensure that the user enter the username and
    password on the login form and avoid unnessesary postbacks.

    The i have moved the application to Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1 with
    IIS6 and .NET framework V1.1.4322. The login form load correctly. When
    the user leaves a field blank, the error message is displayed
    accordingly. But when both fileds are filled and the user presses the
    Submit button, NO POSTBACK occurs and no error messages are displayed
    (be those generated by the validators or underlying JavaScript); in
    other words, NOTHING happens. Then theres another thing which makes
    this even more misterious, when Firefox 1.0.4 is used, EVERYTHING
    WORKS JUST FINE. So the problem occurs exclusivly when ASP.NET page is
    executed under IIS6 in Win 2003, using IE 6 as the browser.

    I'm completly mystified/annoyed/furious. This issue is holding me
    back. Can anyone help me resolve it?

    (this can be viewed at
    http://nz.no-ip.biz/HelpDeskManager_V2_2_Dev/Login.aspx)

    Kind regards,
    Nick Goloborodko
    Nick Goloborodko, May 28, 2005

  2. Nick Goloborodko

    TJS Guest

    I tried it both browsers and it worked correctly both times for me

    -- no entries, both fields req.
    --1 entry , the other field req
    --2 entries, Username does not exist

    TJS, May 28, 2005

  3. This won't solve your problem, but will explain different behaviors :

    FireFox is considered "downlevel", so all validation only occurs on
    postback, no JavaScript is involved.

    IE6 is "uplevel" so it is JavaScript.

    (All ASP.Net 1.1 script make liberal use of document.all - very MS
    specific).

    Make a google search for DOMValidator if you need no postback validation on
    FF & IE. I had to tweak a little the js file but so far so good.
    I believe there is a also MS sample somewhere in MSDN that is based on the
    same code base.

    Michel de Becdelièvre, May 28, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. I have fixed the problemm by copying all of the
    files from the folder "aspnet_client" onto the server and that seems to
    have fixed the problem at least for now.

    Kind regards,
    Nick Goloborodko

    Nick Goloborodko, May 28, 2005