Weird Resolved Linkage

Nephi Immortal

I am working to edit many classes across many modules. Many modules
depend on one header when they want to use built-in types like this
below.

// built_in_types.h
typedef char t_int8;
typedef short t_int16;
// etc

// module_1.h
#include “built_in_types.h”

// module_2.h
#include “built_in_types.h”

// module_3.h
#include “built_in_types.h”

// main.cpp
#include “built_in_types.h”
#include “module_1.h”
#include “module_2.h”
#include “module_3.h”

// etc….

All modules are correct without errors. If you modify
built_in_types.h, then all modules are required to be recompiled.
After you recompile for the first time, error message reports
unresolved linkage to all class functions in module_1.h or other
modules. You don’t touch any modification before you recompiled
second time. No resolved linkage reported.
Very strange. Have you experienced similar issue on Visual C++ 2010?

Ian Collins

I am working to edit many classes across many modules. Many modules
depend on one header when they want to use built-in types like this
below.

// built_in_types.h
typedef char t_int8;
typedef short t_int16;
// etc

Why don't you just use the standard types in <stdint.h>?