Weird Resolved Linkage

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nephi Immortal, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. I am working to edit many classes across many modules. Many modules
    depend on one header when they want to use built-in types like this
    below.

    // built_in_types.h
    typedef char t_int8;
    typedef short t_int16;
    // etc

    // module_1.h
    #include “built_in_types.h”

    // module_2.h
    #include “built_in_types.h”

    // module_3.h
    #include “built_in_types.h”

    // main.cpp
    #include “built_in_types.h”
    #include “module_1.h”
    #include “module_2.h”
    #include “module_3.h”

    // etc….

    All modules are correct without errors. If you modify
    built_in_types.h, then all modules are required to be recompiled.
    After you recompile for the first time, error message reports
    unresolved linkage to all class functions in module_1.h or other
    modules. You don’t touch any modification before you recompiled
    second time. No resolved linkage reported.
    Very strange. Have you experienced similar issue on Visual C++ 2010?
    Nephi Immortal, Dec 8, 2011

  2. Nephi Immortal

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 12/ 9/11 07:29 AM, Nephi Immortal wrote:
    > I am working to edit many classes across many modules. Many modules
    > depend on one header when they want to use built-in types like this
    > below.
    >
    > // built_in_types.h
    > typedef char t_int8;
    > typedef short t_int16;
    > // etc

    Why don't you just use the standard types in <stdint.h>?

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Dec 8, 2011